How do I block ads on YouTube?

My friend, you need to stop being so negative, go outside and breathe some fresh air.

You're blogging to hard, a snarky forum comment is not considered "fact", and I'm already using uBlock origin to begin with. Pardon me for attempting to find an alternate solution for a network-wide approach, I guess that's now somehow against your personal terms of service. (lol)

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Filtering all data

You can try out some add blocking tools to even encrypt morse codes (techyhost.com/free-morse-code-translator/) one of the best one is Adblock plus. These tools may not always work but they manage to block ads to some extent

Hello.
In recent days, I remark that ads were no longer blocked on YouTube via Pi-Hole. In "Query Log", I state that the addresses of the YouTube ads have been changed. In total, I counted 39 addresses. I made my file available on my GitHub (just copy and paste): https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FleuryK/pihole-ytadblock/master/ytadblock.txt

1 Like

I also noticed a major increase in ads recently. Thank for you for providing this!

Same here. I set this up specifically because the YouTube app on our smart TVs is just brutal. You can’t watch 5 minutes of content without the video being ruined by ads google is injecting.

The KODI YouTube app somehow blocks all the ads but it’s UI is really clunky. I was hoping to setup a PiHole so the kids could watch YT in their rooms without be eviscerated by ads every 30 seconds

Hi All.
Try adding this one to the mix approx 1 million googlevideo domains in the list from memory.
Source: A free Thundercloud by zaclys.com 1 GB
https://ncloud.zaclys.com/index.php/s/TJkqZjCt99Xxjab

Use this one for Pi-Hole.
https://ncloud.zaclys.com/index.php/s/TJkqZjCt99Xxjab/download

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this list.
Unfortunately, videos do not load anymore with this list on my side :confused:

Ofcourse that doesn't work, did you read all of this thread ? Then you should know, install "uBlock Origin" in your browser and all ads are gone.

Now I can watch videos with 1 ads by videos (max 2) against 4/5 before for several youtubers, so yes, I read this thread.

Why do you have this reaction ? We know it's not the best way to remove youtube ads, I think it's not a reason to give up. Just ask you one question : "Maybe they have requirements to continue this topic?"

In my home, on Pc we have ads blocker, we use it, it's ok, but we watch more videos with youtube application on TV, tablet or smartphone. For these support, the only free way that I know, it's the pi-hole solution. If you have an other solution I'm totally open.

Unfortunatly i have no solution for your setup, i only use my PC for the internet / youtube.

I feel like this is going to always be a cat and mouse game. What I've done is a wildcard block on all googlevideo.com subdomains and then whitelist when i hit an endless pinwheel.

To whitelist, I'll disable for 30 seconds, reload video and presto.

FWIW, I watch 80% of my YT on an Xbox One, so browser addons or vpns are out.

Hello,

I also have the same problem. I have to review the list because I had to block YouTube videos instead of blocking ads.

Just refresh the page or just disable for 30 seconds pi-hole and that solves the problem.

Try removing domains like this unsure really.

r1.sn-n5pbvoj5caxu8-nbo6.googlevideo.com
r2.sn-n5pbvoj5caxu8-nbo6.googlevideo.com
r4.sn-n5pbvoj5caxu8-nbo6.googlevideo.com

I found that if a video doesn't load, I press back and select the video a second time, that seems to work for me.

Unfortunately this list isn't available, now the link says:

Error
The requested share does not exist anymore

The answer is True.
I have removed the links.
I mean I dont really know what is on them.

You could find someone with a copy and share?

it works like a charm, but I keep seeing this ads empty windows in the video

hi is that sill possible to block youtube ads ? do you have a filter ? thanks :slight_smile:

Try these there 2 month old.

encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com
encrypted-tbn10.gstatic.com
encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com
encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com
encrypted-tbn4.gstatic.com
encrypted-tbn5.gstatic.com
encrypted-tbn6.gstatic.com
encrypted-tbn7.gstatic.com
encrypted-tbn8.gstatic.com
encrypted-tbn9.gstatic.com