I’m using OpenWrt on my router and have setup two interfaces in addition to the default WAN and WAN6:
- LAN- configured two wireless networks (2.4 and 5ghz). This is my “stable” interface. Subnet 192.168.1.1/24
- Guest- also configured two wireless networks, used for experimental stuff. Subnet 192.168.3.1/24
I then setup DNS over TLS following this guide.. Everything was working a-ok. Then I decided I wanted to give pihole a try on my guest interface. I performed the following steps:
- gave my Pi a static IP address of 192.168.3.201
- configured my pi to connect to my guest network
- setup pi-hole: cloudflare upstream, ip address 192.168.3.201/24, gateway 192.168.3.1
Once setup was complete I ran the following:
ping 192.168.3.1: destination port unreachable. If I run this command on another client that is connected to my stable network, everything works fine.
ping yahoo.com: worked fine.
I then decided to carry on and follow #2 of this guide and set the DHCP option in my guest network to
6,192.168.3.201. I went ahead and changed pihole to point to the router instead of Cloudflare and it’s working.
Why does this work? I want my pihole to use Cloudflare but now it seems it’s going to use whatever the router is using. Is this what I actually want? Additionally, how can I get this working for ipv6? When I setup pihole it did show me an ipv6 address.