FTLDNS on Synology

Hello,
I installed a clean version of pi-hole and then did a clean install of FTLDNS
As I am working on a Synology with Debian Jessie i hoped this would fix the dnsmasq issue

After installation I diabled the line 37 to fix the DNS issue
(dnsmasq: extraneous parameter at line 37 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf)

However now on the interface FTL is not running and so pi-hole still is not working.

When rebooting everything i get the following output:

chown: cannot access ‘/etc/pihole/dhcp.leases’: No such file or directory
Failed to set capabilities on file `/usr/bin/pihole-FTL' (Invalid argument)
The value of the capability argument is not permitted for a file. Or the file is not a regular (non-symlink) file

dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Permission denied

Anybody know how to fix this issue? Thanks in advance!

This is harmless, the file simply does not exist.

This is harmful, try running

sudo setcap CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE,CAP_NET_RAW,CAP_NET_ADMIN+eip /usr/bin/pihole-FTL

and then try again to see if this fixes it.

This is expected as the previous setcap failed. For your safety, FTL runs completely unprivileged (in contrast to dnsmasq which is started as root process). Hence, we need to add additional capabilities beforehand to allow it to bind to port 53, etc.

this is what i get then
sudo: setcap: command not found

Which model Synology and how is it set up? (Is it DSM, or docker or chroot type of an install?) I just got a small Synology 1 bay station to hopefully help us track down some of these issues.

DS412+ with Debian Chroot (jessie) package via synocommunity

looks like same issue on my debian chrooted tomato netgear R7000 FTLDNS beta test failed

try running setcap
root@gw:/# setcap CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE,CAP_NET_RAW,CAP_NET_ADMIN+eip /usr/bin/pihole-FTL
Failed to set capabilities on file `/usr/bin/pihole-FTL' (Operation not supported)

Could you try installing libcap2-bin?

do you have a stepwise guide on how to do this?

apt-get install libcap2-bin

What @cedie said, probably with sudo:

sudo apt-get install libcap2-bin

I'll try this over the weekend, will keep you posted.
Also I have another issue now happening as well, when i have pi-hole running (previous version) my FOSCAM IP camera loses connection and is unreachable. However it's not showing up in the IP device list so i cannot see it in PI-HOLE.
My router (asuswrt) is DHCP and not pi-hole but i cannot find anything that would indicate the origin of this issue

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.