Fresh Pihole is just forwarding everything!?

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Expecting blocked ads, and a number on the web interface showing how many are blocked...

Actual Behaviour:

Requests are being directed to Pihole, and it seems to be passing everything through. (1200 queries, 3 blocked. Was ) half hour ago.. Tried a couple troubleshooting things, the number went up to 3, but ads still not blocked. Searched around for similar problems, found a couple, but no suitable solutions. Manually set DNS on devices used for testing to pihole, and it IS serving things up..

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/tde4nl5we2

Thanks in advance!!

From a connected client, what is the output of

nslookup pi.hole
nslookup flurry.com

pi.hole

Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Name: pi.hole
Address: 192.168.1.83
Name: pi.hole
Address: 2001:56a:f63d:3e00:1e46:519f:e2aa:8cf9

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ nslookup flurry.com
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Name: flurry.com
Address: 0.0.0.0
Address: ::

It appears you rant hose commands from the Pi terminal, and not from a connected client. We want to verify that the client is sending DNS queries to Pi-Hole. Please run the commands from a connected client (Mac or PC).

I ran them in Putty from a Windows 10 PC. What should I be using?

You ran them with Putty ssh'd into the Pi, so the commands were actually run on the Pi. You want to run the commands directly from the PC terminal (not through Putty) - this way they will run on the PC.

Server: node-1w7jr9n24twqzs2cg5ed4tjkj.ipv6.telus.net
Address: 2001:568:ff09:10c::53

*** node-1w7jr9n24twqzs2cg5ed4tjkj.ipv6.telus.net can't find pi.hole: Non-existent domain

C:\Users\phil_>nslookup flurry.com
Server: node-1w7jr9n24twqzs2cg5ed4tjkj.ipv6.telus.net
Address: 2001:568:ff09:10c::53

Non-authoritative answer:
Addresses: 212.82.100.153

This is showing that the PC is not using Pi-Hole for DNS. It appears to be using an IPv6 path provided by your router (which I assume is provided by your ISP?). If you can, disable IPv6 on that router. This will greatly simplify network troubleshooting.

if the PC were using Pi-Hole as DNS, the outputs of the commands would be the same as when you ran the commands on the Pi (which is using Pi-Hole as DNS resolver).

Ok, she's blocking like crazy now! What would be the correct config with ipv6 enabled?

I can't tell you that, it dpends on how your router provides IPv6 addresses. There are several FAQ's on the subject:

Ok. Thanks for the help!!

Are there any effects from turning IPv6 off?

Very likely, no. Very few web services are accessible only by IPv6.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.