Format "unformatted" lists & block IP addresses

Hi guys, first of all: GREAT WORK!! In the past I already tried to manage ads on my bind manually Oo - so pihole ist that thing I was searching for (without knowing it ^^)

now my question: How about a new feature that automaticaly parses unformatted domain lists like
||blabla.com^
||lorem.de^
into the right format.

second:
Would it be possible to implement a feature to block IP addresses too?

thanks!

Do you specifically talk about exactly this format?

||domain.name^

Or would you like to see some blackbox scheme that will extract domain.name from whatever (maybe strangely formatted) string you give to it? I don't see for what it is needed, right now, but I'm sure you can give us some examples.

No. If you played around with bind already, you should know that we block ads efficiently and transparently on the DNS level. Pi-hole is not a proxy server that can analyse and filter all your traffic (a Rapsberry Pi would be much to slow for this task!). Instead, we serve a DNS service that returns the Pi-hole's IP address for queried ad domains. Hence, these requests will never leave your local network. However, computers will not query a DNS server for IP addresses (because DNS is only to resolve domain names to IP addresses) and so we cannot influence this. It is simply technically impossible for a DNS server to do this.

most lists coming in ||xyz.com^ or in hosts format...
so this would be great :yum:

The lists that come in the former format are not intended to be used with a DNS based blocker such as Pi-hole. They are in the EasyList format, which is intended to by used by browser-based blockers which have full access to the user's browser. Pi-hole can not perform the same functions as those browser-based ad blockers, and so it uses the HOSTS format lists, which are intended to be used by DNS based ad blockers (usually put into a local HOSTS file, hence the name).
More specifically, the EasyList lists mostly contain information that Pi-hole can not use, such as which element tags to remove, what URLs to block access to, etc. The HOSTS lists can be fully utilized by Pi-hole, because they only contain the domains to block (usually along with the IP address to redirect them to, such as 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0, but Pi-hole ignores this part).

I know - the idea was not to parse elements on some sites. Pihole could parse only the domains out of those lists...

By any chance, are you aware of this website?

3 Likes