Error— exact inside

Expected Behaviour:

Pi-Hole Should not be crashing?

Actual Behaviour:

Every day or two I get an error and Pi-hole becomes unresponsive to DNS queries.

The error:

There was a problem applying your settings.
Debugging information:
PHP error (2): sockopen(: unable to connect to
127.0.0.1:4711 (Connection refused) in
/var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/FTL.php:43

I haven’t been trying to change settings though so I don’t understand what that’s about?

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/kC1vnvj7/

It appears lately several others have been having same/VERY similar issues:

Please help?

You can't tell why a car has broken down just by seeing the warning triangle.

The error message (indicating a failure of some UI function to communicate with Pi-hole) may be the same, but the cause was different in all cases, e.g. the (not officially supported) Volumio OS applied a custom dnsmasq configuration that corrupted Pi-hole's configuration, preventing pihole-FTL from starting at all, and consequently the web interface from establishing communications, or you could get similar errors when pihole-FTL would be running ok, but a firewall would block port 4711.

While the debug log doesn't show any signs of the above, there is some custom configuration in place for your system as well:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: contents of /etc/dnsmasq.d

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Mar  1  2020 /etc/dnsmasq.d/lxd -> /etc/dnsmasq.d-available/lxd
   bind-interfaces
   except-interface=lxdbr0

Is that by intention?
Your network interfaces do suggest they are of the virtual, locally administered kind (and your eth1 carries a link-local address only), so are you running Pi-hole in some kind of virtualised environment?

Your debug log doesn't show any crashes.
If pihole-FTL did actually crash, you should be able to extract the crash messages from /var/log/pihole-FTL.log.

Your debug log may hint at intermittent disk usage limitations:
writing access log entry failed: /var/log/lighttpd/access.log No space left on device

Would that coincide with the time of your observed outage?

How did you establish that Pi-hole's DNS server is unresponsive?

I had no intention about alerting you, Binog.

My questions here are to the topic creator blaine07, induced by specific information gathered from their debug log. It wouldn't make sense that you try to answer them, unless blaine07 and Binog would be two accounts for the same person.

With all due sincerely I can 100000% appreciate the follow up questions but many are far beyond my scope of understanding as a newbie. I have, as far as I can tell, managed to fix it by clearing space on it's VM. I never noticed/saw that it was dangerously low on space but at some point I am guessing you are correct in that that's what it was doing-- fluctuating itself in and out of storage space.

Bucking_Horn ALL the thanks for the help mate! I truly appreciate this community and all the great things you guys are doing && Pi-Hole itself! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

my fault, sorry

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.