Encountered non-critical SQL warnings

Because I'm not smart enough. I've been testing beta5, trying to help the developers identify the things, users will notice and complain about, despite the reactions I sometimes get.

Normally, I never react on discourse topics, unless I submit a 'pihole customization' OR it's a problem for which I know the solution with 100% certainty.

1 Like

We've made a home DNS server very easy to deploy. I sometimes think we've made it too easy and people don't see that DNS servers are a vital part of their networks. They shouldn't be feed unchecked data, I don't trust random lists as I don't know who is adding what to the lists. The stock lists are verified and trustworthy.

This is a network necessity, treat it with the amount of respect and diligence it requires.

Yes, this is an obvious idea, I agree, however, it may not always lead to the correct result. Take the warning we had with the other user (for whom I originally wrote the displaying of the warning). For him, the malformed line would have looked like:

domaina,4domainb,5

where the bug was, in fact, in list no. 4. When we'd have automatically shown the list no. 5 address, the user would have removed/disabled the wrong list and the warning would have shown up again, this time maybe with list no. 6.

The idea here is to show what went wrong. As things can go wrong in so many ways, we should have a human being involved who can look at the code. My personal opinion is that making assumptions on the form of something that is obviously malformed is not a good strategy. Even if it may work in some or even a lot of cases, it will not work in others and may be more confusing than anything else.

That is fair and fine. But please do not disrespect the developers by saying things like "This is so easy, why don't you do it" when you don't know how easy it is. This is all free to everyone and no one owes anyone anything.

1 Like

Update pushed to remove the double output.

Agreed.

Most users will NOT even notice the errors, they install and forget, maybe add some lists, but as long as the count (blocked domains) is high enough, they probably never complain.

Thanks again, for your time and effort, have a good night sleep.

P.S. the audit problem (this topic) appears to be solved.

1 Like

Calm down and touch base, guys - you are sharing the same goal here.
We all are.
I am well aware of the effort you put into testing, @jpgpi250, as well as of the amount of work and diligence you bring to this, DanSchaper and DL6ER, and the unfaltering support @jfb is bringing to this forums, and many others not mentioned here - and I guess so is anyone of us.

Seems we are just struggling for the best way to do it.

I'd be willing to lend a hand, by my coding days are well a decade behind me, and they did involve obscure languages no-one ever uses nowadays.

P.S.: Why can I only @ two users in a post???

2 Likes

If this is the case then it wouldn't then be possible to flag "bad" lists because of the way you are pre-parsing them to a single file (if I'm understanding this correctly) Bad lists could taint the good one's via this method...

We all read the posts, there's really no need to ping us and email/page/alert us and other users. And no need to @ more than 2 people in a post.

output now looks like this:

[✓] Storing downloaded domains in new gravity database
  Encountered non-critical SQL warnings. Please check the suitability of the lists you're using!

SQL warnings:
  - /tmp/tmp.iJvu6p46n0.gravity:1868666: expected 2 columns but found 3 - extras ignored
    Line contains: denizbank-balbey.subesi.tc,,34

[✓] Building tree

This provides enough information to solve the problem.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

error:

Encountered non-critical SQL warnings. Please check the suitability of the lists you're using!

SQL warnings:
  - /tmp/tmp.iJvu6p46n0.gravity:1868666: expected 2 columns but found 3 - extras ignored
    Line contains: denizbank-balbey.subesi.tc,,34

sql:

sqlite3 /etc/pihole/gravity.db "SELECT address FROM adlist WHERE id =34;"
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/HorusTeknoloji/TR-PhishingList/master/url-lists.txt

firebog:

list:

denizbank-balbey.subesi.tc,

That's not one of the lists I loaded, but the trailing "," is a problem. I would reject that list entirely. Then, when the list is cleaned up, it will all be imported again.

Send a message to Wally3K, hoping he'll fix it. It is the only error I've got, otherwise, I wouldn't even have noticed the fact that pihole -g now reports these errors, the entire discussion would never have happened...

1 Like

Why, it's not his list. Try GitHub - HorusTeknoloji/TR-PhishingList: Türkiye'ye Yönelik Zararlı Bağlantı Erişim Engelleme Listesi

It has some other errors in it as well. Probably should be reviewed for continued use.

-akbank.com
-xn--yapkred-mza21d-com.usrfiles.com
0.php

I sent the list maintainer feedback on that line item.

Add the other domains I've noted in the edit.

The list doesn't have any contact information. I hope that Wally3K has contact information for the lists he recommends, using his php page

1 Like

From the referenced Github page, in the Readme section, contact information:

Contact

For your questions, comments and suggestions: destek@horus.com.tr

It's a github URL, what more do you need?

Edit: PR in the change you want to see in the world.