Does Pi-hole require a static IPv6?

Hello.

A long-time Pi-hole user here who's trying to add IPv6 to his home network.

Does the Pi-hole need to have a static IPv6 address? If so, how do I set it?

On my network the DHCPv4 is done by the router and the Pi-hole has a reservation. If I understand correctly, IPv6 addresses assigned by the router may change randomly, which means that the Pi-hole's IPv6 address which I enter as DNS in the router's DHCPv6 may turn obsolete and mislead the clients.

I've seen the tread about something called 'ULA', which, I think is meant to address my concern. However, but there seems to be no place to set that ULA on my router (Synology RT2600ac).

Or am I overcomplicating things and I can just leave IPv6s in stateless mode, and reconfigure the Pi-hole with whatever IPv6 it gets and things will just work?

Another option is to turn off IPv6 on your router.

Thanks! No, I'd rather have the router handle the DHCP.

The router can handle DHCP without IPV6 enabled. If you don't need IPv6 and enabling it causes problems, simplify the network and turn it off. Particularly if your router does not handle it well.

Thanks, but there are no problems. I'm exploring IPv6 and searching complexity. It's a learning experience.

So, does Pi-hole need a 'static' IPv6?

These threads may be of assistance:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.