Dnsmasq fails on Pi-hole 3.3

I seem to have the same issues as others in this thread. Though when I'm trying to revert using the instructions above I'm getting "error: bad signature" and "fatal: index file corrupt" when I'm in the /var/www/html/admin directory running the "sudo git checkout v3.2.1" command.
I tried removing the .git/index file to do a git reset but was given the message "rm: cannot remove '.git/index': Permission denied.
I've tried running pihole -r and went through that process but that hasn't worked either.
I just ran pihole -d and couldn't upload my debug log...

What if you

cd /var/www/html/admin
sudo git reset --hard
cd /etc/.pihole
sudo git reset --hard

then try again.

Thanks! I was DOA with pihole offline. Now back up after following these steps.
My Raspberry Pi:
Linux raspberrypi 4.4.50-v7+ #970 SMP Mon Feb 20 19:18:29 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

This fix also worked for me on my Rpi3 on retropie

Any update on when we will have a permanent update/solution for this?
I miss my pi-hole terribly on my synology NAS

I am afraid to update as well on my RasPi3 as well. Don't want to 'break things'
Currently on:
Pi-hole Version vDev (HEAD, v3.2.1-0-ge602008)
Web Interface Version vDev (HEAD, v3.2.1-0-g31dddd8)
FTL Version vDev (v2.13.2 , v2.13.2 )

Any update on this anybody?

Are we safe to update to a newer version on R-Pi3 ?

Since it limits replies:
I am still on the same version I posted above, PiHole won't see any new updates via GUI as I forced that build on my device. So I thought I would ask to see how others with R-Pi3 are making out with the current release or if it is stable or yet recommended

I am facing similar issues on a fresh install using raspbian, don't think it's safe to update.

We're working on the FTLDNS update which will fix these types of issues forever (we hope at least).

1 Like

I reverted back and still does not work. I have Dnsmasq version 2.76. Any help would be great.

debug token is: r57cdco2m8

This worked for me too. I'm on a cubieboard1 Allwinner A10 with armbian (Debian 8.10 Jessie)
Many thanks!

That worked for me too, but it's not a FIX rather than a ROLLBACK.
@DanSchaper: should we wait for the next version or for "go" from your side to know that the next update will not steal another 3 hours?

Hi,
it´s the first time that i use pi-hole.
As the messages in the topic describes, with my raspi-pi and the installation with

curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash

the services dnsmasq doesnt came up.
First i used the possibility to rollback to the older version (3.2.1) as described above.
Thats workes too.
Than i´ve read the sticked topic about the FTLDNS branch and that you need some beta-tester to check if ftldns is working.
My debug-token for the installation with ftldns is: bxzcf44bwu
It works like charm.

If i run a

sudo service --status-all

i see, that dnsmasq isn´t running.

The current status-line in the web-interface is:

Pi-hole Version vDev (FTLDNS, v3.3-108-g310d33b) Web Interface Version v3.3 FTL Version vDev (FTLDNS, vDev-eb64f7b)

A

cat /etc/os-release | grep PRETTY_NAME

gives me

PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"

And yes, i have the nice donut-chart for the different query-types.
If you need, any other information contact me.

I will from now run the system with some more clients and observe that thing.

regards,
j.

It's not supposed to run, FTLDNS took over the responsibility of dnsmasq (based on your installed version)

1 Like

Hi,
ok but after a fresh installation with the installation script no dns service was running.
That was my mistake i think, so i believe that dnsmasq must be running.
The syslog-message was (if i start manually dnsmasq):

Apr 13 16:17:44 dnsmasq systemd[1]: Stopping dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server...
Apr 13 16:17:44 dnsmasq dnsmasq[5472]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
Apr 13 16:17:44 dnsmasq systemd[1]: Starting dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server...
Apr 13 16:17:44 dnsmasq dnsmasq[7017]: dnsmasq: extraneous parameter at line 37 of 
/etc/dnsmasq.d/01- 
pihole.conf
Apr 13 16:17:44 dnsmasq dnsmasq[7017]: extraneous parameter at line 37 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/01- 
pihole.conf
Apr 13 16:17:44 dnsmasq dnsmasq[7017]: FAILED to start up

But than there was another problem with the fresh installation.
If i install pi-hole and setup some things (forwarder etc.), then comes the messages that no dns-server was running.

That´s the reason, why i try to manually start dnsmasq.

regards,
j

Thank you for that hint.
I will try this on a spare-pi.
The current configuration on the other pi runs fine.

regards,
j

2 posts were split to a new topic: Dnsmasq or starting - Ubuntu

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.