Dnsmasq fails on Pi-hole 3.3

This release seems to have killed dnsmasq for me.

Feb 14 21:57:26 chloe systemd[1]: Starting dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server...
Feb 14 21:57:26 chloe dnsmasq[9450]: dnsmasq: extraneous parameter at line 42 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf
Feb 14 21:57:26 chloe dnsmasq[9450]: extraneous parameter at line 42 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf
Feb 14 21:57:26 chloe dnsmasq[9450]: FAILED to start up
Feb 14 21:57:26 chloe systemd[1]: dnsmasq.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Feb 14 21:57:27 chloe systemd[1]: Failed to start dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server.
Feb 14 21:57:27 chloe systemd[1]: Unit dnsmasq.service entered failed state.

And line 42 is

log-facility=/var/log/pihole.log

Any idea's?

1 Like

Can you try a pihole -r and if it's still failing, post the entire contents of the configuration file.

Still failing after a repair, here is my config file - https://pastebin.com/tEqmRtbH

Thanks, what does the full output from dnsmasq --version show?

Dnsmasq version 2.72

What OS and release? Can you run pihole -d and get us the debug token please?

jessie 8.10

piwz0rj7zc

Debian Jessie should have version 2.73 of dnsmasq, have you updated the OS and installed the latest packages? We need 2.73 for the extra logging facility.

Edit, sorry looks like it's 2.72-3 and not 2.73.

Everything is up to date and looking at the Debian jessie repo 2.72 is the latest.

apt-cache policy dnsmasq
dnsmasq:
  Installed: 2.72-3+deb8u2
  Candidate: 2.72-3+deb8u2
  Version table:
 *** 2.72-3+deb8u2 0
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ jessie/updates/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I updated my post to reflect that, is it possible to update to Stretch from Jessie on your install?

No my VPS host does not support Stretch yet.

How can I roll back as pihole checkout core doesn't allow me to go back to 3.2.1.

We're working on getting a solution for people that are locked in to Jessie and can't update. It should allow you to roll back to a previous version.

Can you give the below a go and see if that reverts you to a working version?

cd /etc/.pihole
sudo git checkout v3.2.1
cd /var/www/html/admin
sudo git checkout v3.2.1
pihole -r
pihole checkout ftl v2.13.2
5 Likes

That has worked. Dnsmasq is now starting without any errors and I can now do a dnslookup.

Good to hear, we should have a better solution coming up in a bit but for now just hold off on upgrading as we need a more current version of dnsmasq.

k, happy to help if you need anything.

1 Like

Unfortunately this has not resolved this issue for me but I'll give it another go after I've had some sleep.

Not working :frowning:

• issue after revert complete web is slower and shows totaly data :-((

after updating, the system is somewhat slowed down and, in addition, poorly displays statistics.

I had previously set from 00:00 to 23:59 - 1 day and now it started running in 24 hours :frowning:

i'm also have problem here...fresh install on raspberrypi.DNSMasq unable to start on option

log-queries=extra

for working it need to be commented...

hi...

fresh install from raspberry pi pihole + dnscrypt..still using default config.seem everything running good but no queries appear on dashboard

[✓] Your debug token is: ht9o13lk29

i have test that my network DNS pointed to raspberry pi IP addr and when i'm test using dnsleak all resolver are correct

need an enlightment here...thank you...