DNS service is not running on pi hole

Actual Behaviour:

The service is not running.

Debug Token:

w4kvsnk3l5

Hey guys, I have a pi-hole which suddenly stop running out of nowehere. I've read DNS Service not running in Pihole - #2 by Jampy and run the suggested fix (to remove the package dns-root-data), but I got this:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get --purge remove dns-root-data
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'dns-root-data' is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 27 not upgraded.

DNS service is still not running, and I have tried restarted the service and device, and still fail till now. I've also run the repair option from pihole -r, and nothing works.

Update: Just some more logs from running "systemctl status dnsmasq.service"

• dnsmasq.service - dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dnsmasq.service; enabled)
    Drop-In: /run/systemd/generator/dnsmasq.service.d
    `-50-dnsmasq-$named.conf, 50-insserv.conf-$named.conf
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2018-07-30 15:02:10 +08; 15s ago
    Process: 28785 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --test (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)*

Appreciate if someone can take a look at this, thanks!

Can you run sudo systemctl status --full --no-pager dnsmasq.service and we'll check to see if the error is the garbage in the command line error.

This is my pi version:

Pi-hole Version v3.3.1 Web Interface Version v3.3 FTL Version v3.0

DNSmasq should run right?

Here is the result:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo systemctl status --full --no-pager dnsmasq.service

• dnsmasq.service - dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dnsmasq.service; enabled)
    Drop-In: /run/systemd/generator/dnsmasq.service.d
    `-50-dnsmasq-$named.conf, 50-insserv.conf-$named.conf
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2018-07-30 15:19:05 +08; 17h ago
    Process: 29573 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --test (code=exited, status=1/FA ILURE)

Jul 30 15:19:05 osmc dnsmasq[29573]: dnsmasq: extraneous parameter at line 37 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf
Jul 30 15:19:05 osmc systemd[1]: dnsmasq.service: control process exited, code=e xited status=1
Jul 30 15:19:05 osmc systemd[1]: Failed to start dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP an d caching DNS server.
Jul 30 15:19:05 osmc systemd[1]: Unit dnsmasq.service entered failed state.

Adding the 01-pihole.conf file in case it is needed:

It looks like OSMC is not currently compatible with Pi-hole. They use an older version of dnsmasq that does not understand the logging=extra parameter. There is an update that we have scheduled to come out in the next few days that may address that problem however. But in the mean time take a look at:

Pi-hole v3.3 and v3.3.1 are not supported on Jessie with dnsmasq < 2.73:

You have a few options:

• Install or update to Raspbian Stretch
  • Update dnsmasq to a version > 2.72
  • Join the FTLDNS beta
  • Downgrade to an older version of Pi-hole
2 Likes

Hi Dan,

I ended up downgrading to 3.2.1, and it works now. It do have some weird HEAD word in the version name, but I assume it is fine?

Just curious, once FTLDNS release for everyone, I can upgrade straight to that one from my current version right?

Anyway your post solve the issue, so thank you so much!

The HEAD refers to the internal Git repos having a "detached" HEAD pointing at v3.2.1 instead of the latest commit on the master branch.

When v4.0 is released, you will have to unpin yourself from v3.2.1:

pihole checkout master
1 Like

Got it, thanks Mcat!

perhaps related...

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.