Delete inbox messengers

Hi, i want to delete messengers in my inbox from this site. Please give us the permissions to do that. thanks

Are you trying to unsubscribe from email notifications? If so, you can do that via your account settings or by clicking on the unsubscribe button in the emails.

No, i want to clean my inbox.

You can click on this icon:

Which will give you the option to select stuff ..

and Archive

Archive isn't the same as delete :thinking:

Open the message, click on the wrench icon and select "Delete" to delete the message.

This is what i see in a popup:
"You don't have permission to delete this topic. If you really want it to be deleted, submit a flag for moderator attention together with reasoning."

I need to flag it all the time.

Why do you need to delete them? If there is no reason, then there is no need to delete them.

For privacy (when accounts are hacked by someone) and for a clean inbox.

My apologies, but this Discourse forum is not capable of doing what you are requesting. The only thing we can do is to remove the entire account.

You could enable 2FA ...

1 Like

Ahem, discourse not complying :wink:

2 Likes

We aren't a European organization. GDPR isn't applicable.

But again, I'm more than happy to completely remove the account and all posts/logins and identifiers associated with it.

Better get ready as it looks like its coming your way:

For a forum I administer, we ask users that want to have their data/account deleted if we can anonymise the postings only.
This to prevent the black holes appearing in the conversations/threads when you delete an entire account with posts included.
With MyBB, we can rename the username into for example "GDRP_anonymised", delete the account and the posts remain in the system.
Plus MyBB does allow to delete private messages :wink:

3 Likes

My personal opinion, not speaking on behalf of Pi-hole:

There are provisions within Discourse to handle what needs to be handled. I live in California, they can frankly kiss my butt. As for black holes, I believe they need to appear. If you want to be a part of a conversation and then later decide that you don't want your words to be seen then everyone else involved in the conversation needs to know that you have edited/revised/removed your words and thus the conversation is tainted and not to be trusted. The instructions or guides in that conversation are to be held suspect and should not be followed.

We are all grownups here, if you want to participate then we are are very welcome to have you here and contribute as well as receive support. If you don't want to contribute to the rest of the people and be part of the community then you don't need to be here.

1 Like

As said, thats personal.
Law is different cookie.

Unless you IP-ban the entirety of the EU and make sure EU citizens outside the EU can’t access the site, GDPR applies. Even if the LLC is California-based.

Let me know when the Crown wants to extradite me from the US to face charges.

3 Likes

Just to make things clear, as we're not just being difficult here...

Discourse does not have a mechanism for the user to delete private message threads. See below on Discourse's meta forum for more details:

We can however, at a users request, anonymise them, which maintains the flow of discussion, whilst removing any identity from said discussion. Obviously this renders their account useless, and in order to contribute further they would need to sign up with a new account.

That is pretty much it.

Also, IANAL, so I'm not going to discuss anything to do with GDPR. Here is a stackexchange thread on the subject of GDPR and companies based outside of the US. The people in there are probably much cleverer than I.

Finally, please remember to keep the discourse (lol) civil on this forum. Thank you.

2 Likes