Debug Log

Where can we send our debug log? This is where the link shot me to. So does anyone know where to send and is it worth it? thanks

What problems are you having?

If your debug log is required to help analyzing a problem, a forum moderator will ask you to upload it and provide a token, e.g. by Tools | Generate debug log using Pi-holes UI. A mod or developer can use that and access and read your log.

Uploading the log instead of posting it here in the forums directly offers the advantage of not leaking your potentially sensitive configuration data to the public.

There are no benefits from performing an upload if you don't have a problem. You can always have a look at its last output under /var/log/pihole_debug.log.

When you generate a debug log, you will be prompted to upload it. If you select "Y" or "Yes", then the log uploads to a Pi-Hole server. After the log uploads, you will receive a token. You send us the token (typically in a post or reply) and we use that to find your debug log on the server.

Depending on how you generate the debug log, the prompt to upload appears either at the beginning or the end. From the web admin, it's a checkbox at the beginning:

From the terminal with the command pihole -d , the prompt is at the end:

[✓] ** FINISHED DEBUGGING! **

* The debug log can be uploaded to tricorder.pi-hole.net for sharing with developers only.
    * For more information, see: https://pi-hole.net/2016/11/07/crack-our-medical-tricorder-win-a-raspberry-pi-3/
    * If available, we'll use openssl to upload the log, otherwise it will fall back to netcat.

[?] Would you like to upload the log? [y/N] y
    * Using curl for transmission.
/opt/pihole/piholeDebug.sh: line 1151: warning: command substitution: ignored null byte in input

[✓] Your debug token is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/7q4r0yi6j4

* Provide the token above to the Pi-hole team for assistance at
   * https://discourse.pi-hole.net
   * Your log will self-destruct on our server after 48 hours.
   * A local copy of the debug log can be found at: /var/log/pihole_debug.log

Thanks guys, yea I was just checking where we send the debug logs. I wasn't having any problems, I thought it just said to send them. I don't think it said a yes/no option to send but I did link pi-hole to view my github. Well thanks for the quick respnces, and I usually donate to products I like and find usefull, have a good day peeps!!

I don't know of anything that would cause that to happen. Can you explain a bit more?

What do you mean? A window popped up and asked if I wanted to link it to my github account. I forgot what it was called. I’ll check when I get home.

Oh, that's the login for the developers to be able to access the logs. Users won't be able to use that to log in.

Whew. You worried me. Thought I might have gotten hit with a man in the m. attack. Thanks lol

3 posts were split to a new topic: Can't upload debug log