Clients losing Pihole connection

Hi there fellows!

I appreciate the help I might have here from you experienced guys!

Setup: Pihole + NordVPN

Expected Behaviour:
Clients that keep their connection through Pihole - and Pihole IP adress that doesn't change on reboot...

Actual Behaviour:
Clients losing Pihole connection. My remedy is reinstallation of Pihole, which then suggests other addresses: ip 10.8.2.6/24 and gtw 10.8.2.1
Instead I enter the RPi's ip 192.168.0.194/24 (which is set as static in my router TPlink Archer C2300) and gtw 192.168.0.1 (router gateway).

To your information I have installed NordVPN through ovpn following these guides:
https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/setting-up-rpi-3b-with-pi-hole-openvpn-nordvpn-ufw/18815/4
and

I might suspect this having something to do with the Pihole's behavior

Debug Token:
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/trw8gjq8tf

When Pi-hole gets installed, it installs the software package dhcpcd5, if not installed already, for applying network related settings:

pi@noads:~ $ apt show dhcpcd5
[..]
Description: DHCPv4, IPv6RA and DHCPv6 client with IPv4LL support
 dhcpcd is a one stop network management daemon which includes
  * RFC compliant DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 clients
  * DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation support
  * IPv4LL (aka ZeroConf) support
  * ARP address conflict resolution
  * Link carrier detection
  * Wireless SSID profiles
  * ARP ping profiles
[..]

pi@noads:~ $ sudo service dhcpcd status
[..]
   Active: active (running) since Sun 2020-01-19 23:30:48 CET; 1 weeks 5 days ago
[..]

The installer also configures a static IP address instead of obtaining a dynamic one from your router DHCP service (circumventing your DHCP lease reservation on your router):

pi@noads:~ $ tail /etc/dhcpcd.conf
[..]
interface eth0
  static ip_address=10.0.0.2/24
  static routers=10.0.0.1
  static domain_name_servers=127.0.0.1

If want Pi-hole to be on another address, you can edit above file, reboot Pi-hole and run below one and selecting reconfigure to let Pi-hole know of the address change:

pihole -r

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.