Client group management issue

I'm running into a strange issue on a clean PiHole install. I noticed that when I am adding clients in the 'Clients' menu under 'Group Management', so that I can later add them to various groups, the 'List of configured clients' table is showing them all by their mac address only, not by IP or hostname anymore. The only way I'm able to add any sort of meaningful label is via the comment box. I could have sworn I had them all listed by IP/hostname on my last PiHole instance.

Please upload a debug log and post just the token that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

Sorry, here it is.

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/5g9gu1xbvn

2 posts were split to a new topic: Client management only shows MAC

There are some errors in the lighttpd's error.log

2021-04-12 00:23:25: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Notice:  Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/groups.php on line 208
   2021-04-12 00:23:36: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Notice:  Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/groups.php on line 208
   2021-04-12 00:23:38: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Notice:  Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/groups.php on line 208
   2021-04-12 00:23:47: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Notice:  Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/groups.php on line 208

The relevant code

is part of where Pi-hole tries to match info from the network table with the configured clients table.

Please try to "Flush network table" in Settings and see if the error persists.

Flushed the network table and the issue persists. No changes in the configured client table.

You may have noticed, a new version of Pi-hole was released today. Please read the release notes carefully and update. This will also update the web interface. This might fix your issue (not because there was a specific fix for your issue, but it might replace a faulty file in your web interface directory).

If the issue is still there, generate a new debug token please.

Updated & flushed the network table again, but no dice. New debug token: 2bwx6eo6or

Let me know if there's anything else I can test out for ya!

Ok, the issue persists

Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/groups.php on line 208

Just to make it sure: in the network table the devices are listed with MAC, IP and hostname?

Have you tried a different browser? Any browser plugins that might interfere?

Correct, network table shows everything properly, as well as the drop down menu when adding the clients initially.

Tried Firefox, Chrome, and Edge on my desktop and Safari on my phone, all showing the same thing. Though I'm not sure how a browser would create a server side error.

Here's another debug token in case it helps troubleshooting from y'alls end. If anyone could look into this it would be awesome. Currently group & client management is essentially useless.

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/rlcwoux2uz

1 Like

please give me a ping (in case i miss it) if there's any progress on this as i'm still experiencing the same as you

Carefully reading the initial post again I realized I've understood the issue differently. I thought the dropdown does not contain IP, hostname, ect. anymore.

But the issue for @dmginc670 is that the column displays only the MAC.

I think this is no new issue but has been like this for at least some time. Initially, the group management was based on IP only. Later (Allow defining clients by their MAC address by DL6ER · Pull Request #1285 · pi-hole/AdminLTE · GitHub) the ability to define clients by MAC, interface, hostname was added. If selected from the drop-down, clients are defined by MAC by default.

You could do two things: add comments to the clients or add them manually by entering their IP.

I don't know why your lighttpd shows the errors, but I have the same behavior and have no errors.

Kind of seems like a UI/UX regression only having clients listed by mac address instead of hostname (when available) or IP address, perhaps in addition to mac address. Having to manually add hostnames/IPs via a comment when they are already pre-populated in the dropdown menu seems counterintuitive. Is there a functional reason behind just having the mac addresses show up?

No. I think it is more a space limitation of the table.
But it might be a good feature request to show more of the available information :wink:

@yubiuser I am actually not sure that the table is working as intended. When you add a new client by selecting a 'known client' from the drop down, it only inputs the mac address into the 'List of Configured Clients' table. However, if you just type an IP address into the add client field, without selecting the search result from the drop down, it puts the IP & hostname (if known) into the table..as seen in my screenshot below.

The top 2 results are clients I selected from the drop down, the bottom 2 are ones that I manually typed in the IP address and DID NOT select the returned result from the dropdown. As you can see, my PiHole knew of one of the two hostnames, and listed it in the appropriate field.

1 Like

very interesting. hadn't thought of trying that.

I can confirm the behavior. It is not very consistent, I'll check with the developers.

Kinda thought that's what this platform was for haha

Any luck?