Been having a couple problems on "Installation Complete" and DNS

I don't know too much about programming, but i'll do what I can. Any tips?

Expected Behaviour:

Once the installation completes, it should have a screen with a sign that says the installation is finished with the IP and web admin password

Actual Behaviour:

The installation completes with
[i] Starting dnsmasq service...pi@(my pi name).

Therefore, I cant log into my pi-hole admin page, and I don't get the pi-hole's iP to make the DNS server, which I can't really access on my router.

Can you successfully run sudo systemctl start dnsmasq.service?

No. it says "Job for dnsmasq.service failed. See 'systemctl status dnsmasq.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details."

Try sudo systemctl status --no-pager --full dnsmasq.service

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, but now, when I try to install again, it says "Insufficient free space, exiting..." with some instructions to try to expand the file system, which when I try to access it says that my root filesystem is expanded anyway. I tried the last command you said, and it brings a lot of commands.

● dnsmasq.service - dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dnsmasq.service; enabled)
Drop-In: /run/systemd/generator/dnsmasq.service.d
└─50-dnsmasq-$named.conf, 50-insserv.conf-$named.conf
Active: active (running) since Tue 2018-07-03 09:17:05 EST; 28min ago
Process: 497 ExecStartPost=/etc/init.d/dnsmasq systemd-start-resolvconf (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 478 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/dnsmasq systemd-exec (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 404 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --test (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 492 (dnsmasq)
CGroup: /system.slice/dnsmasq.service
└─492 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -x /var/run/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.pid -u dnsmasq -r /var/run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf -7 /etc/dnsmasq.d,.dpkg-dist,.dpkg-old,.dpkg-new --local-service

Jul 03 09:17:04 Jonathan dnsmasq[492]: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt DBus i18n IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP conntrack ipset auth DNSSEC loop-detect
Jul 03 09:17:04 Jonathan dnsmasq[492]: DNS service limited to local subnets
Jul 03 09:17:04 Jonathan dnsmasq[492]: no servers found in /var/run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf, will retry
Jul 03 09:17:04 Jonathan dnsmasq[492]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Jul 03 09:17:05 Jonathan systemd[1]: Started dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server.
Jul 03 09:17:10 Jonathan dnsmasq[492]: reading /var/run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf
Jul 03 09:17:10 Jonathan dnsmasq[492]: using nameserver 2600:1700:16e0:b6d0::1#53
Jul 03 09:17:12 Jonathan dnsmasq[492]: reading /var/run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf
Jul 03 09:17:12 Jonathan dnsmasq[492]: using nameserver 192.168.1.254#53
Jul 03 09:17:12 Jonathan dnsmasq[492]: using nameserver 2600:1700:16e0:b6d0::1#53

That shows dnsmasq is running. Did you run that command before or after you tried to reinstall? And if the installer stops with the free space warning then you do not have enough space to install the software. You either need a larger SD card or you need to clear some space for it. You can check that with sudo df -h to see how much space is available.

I ran it after I tried to reinstall. And im not sure what exactly to get rid of, it has a list of things that the space is used for. The SD card have 8g, and I haven't done much with it to accumulate that much space.

What does the output from sudo df -h show?

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       4.4G  4.3G     0 100% /
devtmpfs        427M     0  427M   0% /dev
tmpfs           432M     0  432M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           432M  6.0M  426M   2% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           432M     0  432M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p6   65M   21M   45M  32% /boot
tmpfs            87M     0   87M   0% /run/user/1000

/dev/root 4.4G 4.3G 0 100% /

You have no free space available on the root partition, so the installer will not continue. This does not look like an 8G SD card, it's only showing you have 4.4G for the partition. Is this NOOBS?

No, taking the SD card out of the pi and checking it out on my computer and going into the OS file has a file named Raspbian.

Without knowing the contents of the card the only advice I can give is to either get a larger card or to clear space on the card by removing software that you do not need. We can not install on a partition that is 100% used.

I wiped everything on the SD card, and re-downloaded NOOBS. I downloaded the Pi-hole again, and it downloaded completely. Now, when I check the pi-hole site for ad testing and other sites, the ads still get through. I go to the comand prompt on my computer and run ipconfig /renew and ipconfig /all it states that the dns server is the Pi-hole's server.

Run pihole -d for a debug token please.

cvh0rcuksi

Thanks, and what DNS servers are listed for the client? Only the Pi-hole IP address or do you have other DNS servers listed on the client?

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. Where do I go to check that?

ipconfig /all and look at the IP addresses for the DNS server.

I only have the Pi-hole servers adresses.

Okay, on the Pi-hole device run pihole -t and this will start tailing the query log. If you see entries scroll when you browse with a client check to see if they are blocking. If you don't see entries scroll then your clients are not using the Pi-hole for their DNS. Also check the web admin interface under the Query Log page and see if there are green and red entries displayed.