Amount domains to be handled by pi-hole

Hi,
is there a limit Pi-Hole 5.0 can handle (slowing down performance significantly, etc.) Currently I have around 4 mio domains on lists and planning to add more. So questions is there a technical limitation / advise in terms of performance, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Mike

Pihole v5.0 is very fast and doesn't store all the domains in memory (only the index as B-tree, which is much smaller) As long as you have enough disk space it should be fine. I see limitations more with the number of concurrent clients/queries than with the number of domains on the blocklist. Or as the developers say it:

An other point is: is it useful to have so many domains on the blocklist...?

Many thx for the quick answer. As of now I havent really found a suitable list with mainly 200k entries to Cover 90% or more of garbage sites to keep gravity db small. Any lists u r using and u can recommend?

I'm using some, but not all of them, from firebog

What do you consider 90% garbage sites? I guess there is an infinit number of ads/tracker/malicious sites out there. Of course having 4 mio domains on blocklist will potentially cover more than "only" 200.000. But the number of domains in your blocklist is just a surrogate parameter - what really counts is having "all" garbage domains on that list that you will really visit.
I have ~300.000 on my blocklist and in the last 90 days only 1150 different domains have been blocked.

To answer which lists are really good for you, I wrote a script

The one list I benefit the most from is:
https://www.github.developerdan.com/hosts/lists/ads-and-tracking-extended.txt

Thx for pointing to devdan. Using already his lists. Unfortunatley ur link for the Script is giving no result

Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.

Edited above.

Thx :slightly_smiling_face: will Test it

that looks really impressing ... thanks for the coding ... grabbing the informations.

Will there a kind of sorting for the output:

*** Adlist coverage ***

id enabled total_domains domains_covered hits_covered unique_domains_covered address

I would like to grab the top 10 adlists covering top 10 of all blockings resulting in removing all
blocklists I personally dont benefit from.

From pihole_adlist_tool -help

Usage: pihole_adlist_tool [options]

Options:
    -s [total/covered/hits/unique]   Set sorting order to total (total domains), covered (domains covered), hits (hits covered) or unique (covered unique domains) DESC. (Default sorting: id ASC)

I personally pay more attention to unique_domains_covered