Adding a timer to temporarily disable pihole

Lately I'm noticing more instances of having pages blocked that I'm legitimately trying to open especially when I'm comparing prices of things and since they are serving ads with the same domains they are using for links I can't just whitelist them. So I disable pihole temporarily from the admin panel flush the dns and when I'm done turn pihole back on only problem is most times I forget to turn it back on. Maybe there could be a submenu to choose like turn off for 1 hour kinda like they do with malware scanners.

Not a big deal just an idea, I really appreciate everything you do, Thanks!

I was about to say that we already have this feature!

But upon a re-read I realise you want to add an additional item to that menu. I'm thinking maybe we could add a "custom" to the end so that a user may choose whichever value they like.

FYI, in the mean time you can actually do this from the console with pihole disable 60m

Thanks for the reply yes that would be very cool!

You didn't read my question wrong I did mean add a timer because apparently when I was doing "pihole -up" it was updating the server but not the admin interface I was still on version 1.4.1 for the admin page. It kept telling me everything was up to date after "pihole -up" and I would lose the nag on the admin so I never even thought anything about it. But when you posted that screengrab I was like something is wrong I don't see anything like that and then I looked at the changlog and noticed my web admin was VERY old but my backend version was fine. So I tried to update again and it still told me the web admin was up to date at 1.4.1. So I ended up rebuilding from git and now I see the updated interface, holy crap there is a ton of new stuff!

Anyway, yes a custom timer would be great but for now I'll just use the command line it actually takes less time anyway. Thanks for the tip by the way and again thanks for all you guys do it's VERY appreciated!

Pull request in progress

2 Likes

Pull request merged!

1 Like