YouTube plays ads on my nVidia Shield, like Pi-Hole never existed

Please be aware adding these lists might block more than you opted for....you may break some stuff.

Nope :frowning:
Sorry, Unless you have some exerience with setting up stuff on your raspberry or have exeprience with installing proxy software.
And it is not a wonderpill either, I still have ads sometimes, even with the filters.

You can setup privoxy on the raspberry, but huge adblock list inside privoxy will slow down your browsing as the pi is too slow for this. But it can be done.
If you are up for a challenge: install privoxy on the raspberry pi, get it running on 8118 (default) and set the shield pproxy setting to the ip and port of privoxy..
If you can still do any "network" related on the shield, I can send you the action files needed.

Being a stickler on terminology - these are block lists, not blacklists.

But can I put these individually in to the blacklist?

You could open each of those web files, and them put the domains in your blacklist, but this would be the incorrect approach. That would make a static copy of active lists.

By putting those web domains into your block list (subscribing to each block list), when Pi-Hole rebuilds gravity it will pull all the domains from those subscribed block lists into gravity. Additionally, when gravity is rebuilt the duplicates (and there are many) are removed, leaving you with a gravity list of non-duplicates.

The other advantage of subscribing to an active block list (instead of adding lines to your blacklist) is that the block lists on the web are actively maintained (domains are added and removed by the list maintainer). When they change their list, Pi-Hole will detect this on the next gravity update (every Sunday morning via a cron script) and update your gravity list accordingly.

As an example, I copied all the block lists from the post above, added them to a Pi in place of the existing block lists, and rebuilt gravity. This is the end of the pihole -g command output showing about 650,000 duplicated domains in those block lists. These duplicates were removed.

[✓] Consolidating blocklists
[✓] Extracting domains from blocklists
[i] Number of domains being pulled in by gravity: 1942816
[✓] Removing duplicate domains
[i] Number of unique domains trapped in the Event Horizon: 1292304

Here is a good FAQ on block lists. Note that Pi-Hole uses lists formatted in HOSTS format.

Many of the lists recommended in the reply above are in other formats, which can cause problems.

If you open https://raw.githubusercontent.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets/master/filters/annoyances.txt, you will see that the first three lines of the file are as follows and the format of the file is incorrect for Pi-Hole.

! Title: uBlock filters -- Annoyances
! Description: Filters optimized for uBlock Origin, to be used with Fanboy's
!              and/or Adguard's "Annoyances" list(s)

This list is not in text format, it's a csv file: http://osint.bambenekconsulting.com/feeds/dga-feed-high.csv.

Recommendation - use lists that work with Pi-Hole. Wally3K lists meet this criteria.

Apologieis , yes these are BLOCKLISTS👍

Hmm some of the hosts from the last list posted here is blocking my "Sign in" function on YouTube.. Gotta find out which one of them..

That is one of the problems with large numbers of block lists and blocked domains. Many false positives. And several of those lists above block each others' domains.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.