Working- without PiHole DHCP (which I'd like)

The issue I am facing:
Pi-Hole installed, Router (Netgear RAX45) setup with Pi-Hole as DNS (and the ONLY), but when I disable router DHCP and enable it on Pi-Hole things go wonky. With router as the DHCP things work 100%. I'd like each device to list the queries instead of everything showing from the router.

Details about my system:
Brand new Pi4 (my first) latest OS on 64bit lite install and hardwired to my Netgear RAX45 (Firmware Version V1.0.12.120_2.0.83). DNS is set to IP LAN address of the Pi-Hole and nothing else. Blocking is working, no ads on any of the devices on the network... but, everything on the Pi-Hole network overview is coming from the router address. The other devices are listed, but are shown as NOT using Pi-Hole, but they are (my phone shows up as on eth0 as well when its obviously wireless connect). Upstream set to Cloudflare. I've been using the DuckDuckGo browser beta add-on with my phone that blocks tracking and before Pi-Hole it was loaded with hundreds of blocked items hourly, and after it only has one or two an hour that make it past Pi-Hole. So I know it's working.

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:
I've spent a couple days looking at options thru searches and I've tried editing the etc/hosts file with the IP address and name of each device - no luck. Each entry has no space in the name, and I've done the IP address reservation on the router for every device. Didn't work.

When I disable DHCP on the router, and enable in Pi-Hole,after reboots I lose everything - the Rasp Pi network connect, devices both wired and wireless lose connection, and I can no longer access my router- I had to do a hard reset and set everything back up (wheeee...)

I've seen posts about the RAX Netgear routers not playing well but hopefully there's something I'm missing - this is my first Pi after all... I'll admit I know nothing about Raspberry Pi systems and I've always used the basic router setups so be gentle (LOL)

Attached is the needed debug log
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/NeO8Ks5u/

So i went ahead and changed the DNS entries on the devices i could... phones, laptops & desktop computers, and they are showing up in the Pi-Hole client list. Interestingly, my gaming laptop has one entry on the router, but two in Pi-Hole??

I'd still like to find a way for the non-editable devices to be listed individually

I've read thru that, and tried... but as I mentioned if I disable the DHCP on the router, and us the Pi-Hole DHCP things go bad. I was hoping something in my log might shed some light as to why?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.