WiFi devices are reporting "NO INTERNET CONNECTION" and can't access Internet after latest PIHOLE update

Please, please help - I hope I am in the right thread. Please.

I had not updated my Pi-Hole in a few months, and I saw today that version 5.8.1 was available, along with the corresponding FTL and Web Interface.

I updated through PUTTY using the update command, and upon rebooting, none of my wireless networks are working and they cannot connect to the Internet at all. Only my wired connection can.

I checked my Router which is a Watchguard Firebox T3 (I have NEVER had trouble with it) and my DNS servers all still point to the Pihole address as they always have. I tried rebooting the Pihole, and then rebooting all of my equipment with the same result. No wireless networks can connect as they always did before. I tried restarting the pihole DNS server, everything. All of my wireless networks just say "No Internet Connection". I did notice something new on the graphic interface - an error message reporting "
Warning in dnsmasq core:

Ignoring query from non-local network

I have never seen that before this version. My router has always run in mixed routing mode with three different IP ranges for two wireless networks and one wired, with the DNS (as it has been since I have started using Pi-Hole) server being 192.168.111.3 . I have lost power a handful of times in the past and the systems always came up running with no issues, so it must be something new with the new version or something I am missing in troubleshooting.

I pinged all of the gateways and all networks responded as they should, perfectly. I rebooted the router, Modem, switch, and pihole all at the same time (similar to a power outage) with same result. Is there a setting or something I need to do to get the wireless using the pihole as the DNS as they always have (I suspect they are still bit something is amiss) . I AM NOT an expert in this at all so I REALLY need help. My cell phones report "Internet may not be available" on both wireless networks. Alexas get the weather, but cannot use any of my Internet of Things in my House (thermostat, lights, etc). Alexa says they are not responding, which I expected.

I have restarted several times the wireless networks and still nothing (in the past, it has been no issue at all, they always worked). The only difference is the update to the latest Pihole version, along with the FTL and GUI. I tried restarting the DNS server as well. The only wild card is I updated everything today.

Here is a screenshot pinging the gateways of all my networks.

Here is what the Pihole is reporting:

I read somewhere about reverting to "main branch" as well. Not sure how to do that or if that is the problem. It all went haywire after updating to this version, worked perfectly and seamlessly before.

What I have discovered after digging deeper is that devices that have static IP addresses (like my computer) CAN access Internet, wireless devices on my wireless networks cannot, they report "Connected without Internet", like our mobile devices. The only thing that has changed in my network chain is Pihole updated to latest version and that is where the troubles began. Lastly, rebooting all devices has not helped, same result.

@DanSchaper , remember me? Thank you for your help in the past. Can you help? I emailed Jacob but he informed me he is no longer on this project. Crap.
Can you please help?

1 Like

I uploaded my debug log. Here is the token: XASWyJ5m

The warnings have always existed in /var/log/pihole.log. A change to Pi-hole made them more visible by also printing them into /var/log/pihole-FTL.log and showing them on the dashboard.

https://pi-hole.net/2021/12/22/pi-hole-ftl-v5-12-web-v5-9-and-core-v5-7-released

Brief documentation for these warning can be found here:

https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/dnsmasq_warn/

Thank you. Since I updated the pihole to the latest version, my two wireless networks connect to the router perfectly (as they always have) but report "No Internet Connection" . New devices can join the network but have no internet access. All of this happened since the Pihole updated to the latest version. Restarting all devices does not resolve issue.

Also, what does that error message "Ignoring query from non-local network" mean? All of my networks (one wired, two wireless) are part of the same router, explained above. I have never changed any of the configuration of the network, only updated the pihole to latest version. I am mystified as to why wireless networks cannot connect to the Internet now.

What is odd is my IPTV, Spectrum app, and some alexa commands are going "through", albeit the Spectrum app was slower to respond. Mobile devices, tablets and IoT devices do not connect or respond, and tablets along with phones report "No Internet Connection". I am fearful of flushing the ARP cache as not to corrupt the table. I am wondering if "pihole -r" may be an option, but again, I do not want to mess anything up.

So to be clear, my router (in mixed router mode) has three separate IP ranges. I wanted to split the load up on different networks.....and it always worked perfectly, as I point to the ip address if the Pi as my DNS Server. I understand that the latest version show the latest DNSMASQ error as a notification, but it makes me think that there has been some security changes in the pihole engine that is ignoring "external" requests, and it is thinking my IP ranges are 'external". This is the error message: "Ignoring query from non-local network".

My hard-wired network (which is on the same range as the pihole) works perfectly (range: 192.168.111.1-199)

My first wireless network is 192.168.0.1-199, my second wireless network is 192.168.100.1-199. As they are different ranges and not on the same local network, is this the reason the latest version of Pihole is ignoring the requests, therefore, not allowing Internet Access.

UPDATE: WHEN I REMOVE PIHOLE IP ADDRESS AS DNS SERVER, I AM ABLE TO ACCESS INTERNET ON ALL OF MY WIRELESS NETWORKS (of course, it is going to IP network DNS with no ad blocking, which points to Pihole being the issue and either ignoring network requests from those IP ranges). As I mentioned earlier, these ranges are outside of the range the pihole is on, but I can ping all of these ranges gateways no problem.

This is really bizarre, as nothing has changed in my network configuration at all but the pihole software update to the latest version.

What do you think @DL6ER or @DanSchaper ? It's driving me insane. My debug token is XASWyJ5m .

DNSMASQ_LISTENING=local

Go to the web interface and change the "Settings/DNS/Interface Settings" to "Permit all origins".

1 Like

I uploaded my debug log. Here is the token: XASWyJ5m .

THAT DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, sir, My Pihole is behind an enterprise grade firewall (Watchguard Firewall T70). THANK YOU!!! They are all now connected to Internet.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.