Why do speed tests no longer work?

I'm concerned that I might do it wrong based on the experience in this thread:

I'm open, though I'd rather not, to frying my raspberry pi and starting from scratch.

Start all over from scratch. You have issues with the operating system itself if pinging an IP address fails.

@DanSchaper, I started over from scratch and this issue is persisting. I followed the docs on the rasp pi website for install the pi os and then followed the docs on the pi hole website to install the pi hole. When I go to fast.com, it says that I'm not connected to the internet and my router says the same thing.

Post up a debug token.

This is my debug token https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/exdqmdta3e.

The speedtest on fast.com worked up until the moment that I installed pi hole. It worked through every step of the installation of the raspberry pi up until then. This installation has no custom blacklists and only uses the four default lists that are provided and it works with an eth0 connection. I did not do anything to my router settings after installing pi hole (curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash) in a screen share on the raspberry pi. Thanks!

I can still ping websites in the terminal. I can write ping google.com and it will work from the raspberry pi and from my machine. It's specifically any internet speed test that fails to work. (speedtest.net, fast.com, so on)

Does the speed test not work at all, or are the results not what you expect?

These tools can help you determine if any of the domains that load with the speed testers are being blocked and causing problems.

I will note that with stock blocklists and some additional regex, I have no problems with speedtest.net (I don't use the other site).

You also might want to try different upstream DNS servers to eliminate any interference from the two you are now using:

PIHOLE_DNS_1=208.67.222.222
    PIHOLE_DNS_2=208.67.220.220

It does not work at all. It says that I am not connected to the internet on both sites.

I'm editing this in the WAN DNS Setting tab on my router. Should I be updating these elsewhere too?

The speed test works when I choose connect to dns server automatically on the wan dns settings tab in my router. My concern is that setting up dns servers automatically means I'm no longer using openDNS.

I'm wondering if this might work: (I tried this an the speed tests still don't work)

• Use automatically selected dns server in my router
  • Add the open dns nameservers to the upstream server ipv4 options in the pi hole admin console

Sorry for all the messages. I think we're very close to a solution.

I set automatically choose dns server on my router and I checked the box for opendns in the pi hole console. BUT, I did not put in the name servers for open dns on my router or on the pi hole.

Yet, when I go to https://welcome.opendns.com/ it tells me that I'm connected to open dns.

AND, the speed tests are working. So, I think this means we've solved it. Does that sound right?

Does ping 192.168.50.1 still fail?

1 Like

That ping works

The debug log still shows that as failing.

If ads are still being blocked and you can dig or nslookup pi.hole then things are working it seems.

Should I be adding the open dns name servers anywhere or does this happen automatically?

No, just a bare dig since that will use the DNS server that the client is configured for. If the client truly is using Pi-hole then dig pi.hole will be successful.

Sorry, I mis-stated my question. I mean, in general, do I need to add the open dns name servers anywhere?

My general response to that is "Does it work?"

1 Like

Awesome, I'm going to mark this solved. Thanks Dan!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.