Why do some sites take forever to load when using Pi-hole? (for versions < v4.0)

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 443 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

This rule sets up on the INPUT chain, all TCP traffic on port 443 (TLS/SSL/HTTPS) will get a message that the port is not available and will be sent a reset packet. This helps with slow loading of SSL/TLS pages since the client won't be waiting for a reply, the will get an immediate closed and will not be open message.

iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 80 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

This is another INPUT chain rule, but this is a new one. The QUIC protocol sends over UDP as opposed to what we normally see as TCP traffic. So to block the QUIC and it's DNS traffic over QUIC, this rule sets another rejection notice to the client. It tells the client that QUIC is not available and ends the process.

iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 443 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

That one is a combination of the two, reject QUIC TLS/SSL/HTTPS traffic.

3 Likes

To break it down a little bit further:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 443 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

iptables is the command, so we are looking at the IPv4 firewall rules.

-A INPUT adds the following rule to the INPUT chain, if you have default settings this will affect all interfaces.

-p tcp targets the TCP protocol.

--dport 443 narrows the rule to only apply to traffic with a destination of port 443, which is the TLS port.

-j REJECT jumps the traffic to the REJECTion chain of rules.

--reject-with-tcp-reset tells the firewall to reply with a reset message instead of just the normal closed message.

2 Likes

Thanks Dan. I've installed iptables on raspbian and this solved all slow site problems for me. Everything very fast now.

1 Like

2 questions arise:

• Are there any drawbacks (e.g. package/system updates not working)?
  • Could it be integrated in future releases? Because it's not obvious and really annoying if you don't know why certain sites load really slow...and took me a long time to get here.
1 Like

Updates would only break if you have the repository address on your blocklist. This just adds a different response to the denied rejection. And as to inclusion on future updates, possibly. I really don't like setting firewall rules for users and getting in to their system security, then it makes us responsible for their firewalls if something should happen to their systems. I know we set firewall rules already but that's not something I really like doing. But I'm not the only developer on the team and we go by team consensus for things, so it's not outside the realm of possibility. This is already in the FAQ section but if it's something that is really useful we can see about a blog post publicizing it more.

1 Like

I think you do need a blog post for these slow downs, now thinking back i've had random slow downs for at least a year.

My issue was mainly with wifi devices randomly having issues, so it took me a very long time with the process of elimination on my network gear. I didn't think it was pihole since wired devices never had issues and if they did it went unnoticed.

Anyways long story short i guess went i setup pihole i gave it a static ip outside my dhcp and then at a later date changed it, in some of the conf files it was still referencing the old ip address. Since correcting this I've not had any issues, google searches still stall a little but its not noticeable unless you really pay attention.

1 Like

We have some ideas for blog posts to cover things and some thoughts on documentation updates. It's just a matter of getting the time to do it all.

i am trying to issue the commands to persistently save my iptables - but am receiving the below:

root@raspberrypi:~# iptables-save > /etc/iptables/rules.v4
-su: /etc/iptables/rules.v4: No such file or directory

are these files located elsewhere? i tried to find out where they should be based on What files does Pi-hole use? but can't find it..

I am using this blog - Why Some Pages Load Slow When Using Pi-hole And How To Fix It (for versions < v4.0) - Pi-hole

1 Like

Thanks! I had this issue too. Weirdly, your: sudo bash -c "iptables-save > /etc/pihole/rules.v4" command works, but when I try the V6 version I get the following:

-bash: /etc/pihole/rules.v6”: Permission denied

I should note that I don't have the ULA option on my router, and I'm using PiHole as my DHCP server with IPv6 support disabled... Guess that might have something to do with it?

Thanks TurtleRecall,

Trying that syntax worked for me:

root@raspberrypi:/opt# sudo bash -c iptables-save > /etc/pihole/rules.v4
root@raspberrypi:/opt# sudo bash -c iptables-save > /etc/pihole/rules.v6

I also do not have IPv6 enabled and my router does not have the ULA option (infact in my router i have IPv6 disabled completely) - but I am activating the rules in order to see if it assists with the slow loading of some websites, without enabling ULA since I do not see an option for it in my router.

1 Like

Great! Weirdly, I'd been trying to reply to aws1971. I realised the reason the commands I was trying weren't working was because the v6 version was getting pasted into Putty with italic quotes?! No idea how I managed that, but both now saved using aws1971's version:

sudo bash -c "iptables-save > /etc/pihole/rules.v4"
sudo bash -c “iptables-save > /etc/pihole/rules.v6”

Running 3.2.1 but still seeing the IPv6 mismatch in setupVars.conf.

Here's an updated version of a script that runs hourly to compare the IPv6 values and update the config if necessary:

Can you make a RHEL version that is easy to read and apply?

Thank you

I made a fresh installation on raspbian stretch and had some issues with saving the iptables correctly. Here is how I fixed it:

ssh-login as pi
sudo su (to get root)

copy/paste and run each of these commands as suggested in the blog post:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 443 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --destination-port 80 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --destination-port 443 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

ip6tables -A INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 443 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
ip6tables -A INPUT -p udp --destination-port 80 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp6-port-unreachable
ip6tables -A INPUT -p udp --destination-port 443 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp6-port-unreachable

exit to get pi again

then instead of the iptables-save commands I ran

sudo apt install iptables-persistent

and was quoted if I want to save the current settings. This was the only way I managed to get the rules persistent. You can check the currently used rules with

sudo iptables -L
sudo ip6tables -L

1 Like

I'm running Pi-hole 3.3 and my router has ULA enabled however I still have this issue. I have tried the iptables solutions posted but this made no difference. In the end I just copied and pasted the ULA from my router config page into setupVars.conf which has solved it for now.

Here are the rich rule versions for anyone that is using firewalld

firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=public --add-rich-rule='rule family="ipv4" port port=443 protocol=tcp reject type=tcp-reset'
firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=public --add-rich-rule='rule family="ipv4" port port=80 protocol=udp reject type=icmp-port-unreachable'
firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=public --add-rich-rule='rule family="ipv4" port port=443 protocol=udp reject type=icmp-port-unreachable'

firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=public --add-rich-rule='rule family="ipv6" port port=443 protocol=tcp reject type=tcp-reset'
firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=public --add-rich-rule='rule family="ipv6" port port=80 protocol=udp reject type=icmp6-port-unreachable'
firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=public --add-rich-rule='rule family="ipv6" port port=443 protocol=udp reject type=icmp6-port-unreachable'

Update IPv6 commands, thanks @weust

1 Like

This is actually what you are supposed to do, but I see that bit of information is difficult to discern from the OP. I will update that. When you add it to your setupVars.conf, that address will be used next time you update the ad lists, and thus used by your Pi-hole, preventing the timeouts.

1 Like

The last two lines aren't working. They need to bed like this:

firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=public --add-rich-rule='rule family="ipv6" port port=80 protocol=udp reject type=icmp6-port-unreachable'
firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=public --add-rich-rule='rule family="ipv6" port port=443 protocol=udp reject type=icmp6-port-unreachable'

6 added to icmp6-etc

It's only nessecary to create the directory iptables inside of /etc to get the full path /etc/iptables

Updated my post, thanks.