Where did Blacklist menu option go?

Expected Behaviour:

Typically, I see both Blacklist and Whitelist in the Admin panel.

Actual Behaviour:

After upgrading over the weekend I am no longer seeing those options. I am Ubuntu 18.04 so I tried reverting to v5.16.3 by changing branches but that didn't revert back the menu options.

Are they now located somewhere new or can I assume something is wrong with my installation?

Another observation - all the version numbers in the footer are now N/A.

1 Like

This is expected, because we removed them.
Please see Upcoming Pi-hole changes

You only reverted one part of Pi-hole, the DNS engine. The web interface is still on the current version. You probably could do back to the previous one by

pihole checkout web v5.13
Checkout of tags is not supported at the moment.

However, this is not recommended. At one point you need to upgrade your OS.

Whitelist and Blacklist menu items were removed.

The old Whitelist, Blacklist and Domains pages were actually different views of just one page:

• Whitelist was groups-domains.php?type=white;
  • Blacklist was groups-domains.php?type=black;
  • Domains was (and still is) groups-domains.php.

You can use "Domains" page to manage your lists and domains.

1 Like

I absolutely hate it. Made several mistakes and find no way to fix them because I can't sort like before! The sorting process is very limited. This would be ok for people who only white or block listed a a few domains. Bring back the separation!

1 Like

Thank you for the quick response!

Ugh! The new page is a great attempt but in my case it is way too busy. I do not want block and allow on the same panel to avoid serious mistakes. And it requires lots of pages to scan for entries.

I plan to upgrade my OS tonight but I would like to roll back to a version before the new Domain menu item. Is there an easy way to do that without a complete reinstall? (yes, I checked the doc page first before asking :slight_smile: )

Thanks!

BTW, I financially support both PiHole and OPNSense.

1 Like

It's actually a page that existed long before the last release, it has just been brought further up in the menu hierarchy.

Next hotfix release for the web component will have a compromise between the "old" way (separate pages), and the "new" way:

filters

2 Likes

You know, there is a search field on that page....

SSH into your pi, cd to /var/www/html/admin/ and run git checkout v5.13 -b v5.13.

Please note: using divergent versions of the Pi-hole components will cause issues soon or later. Before you upgrade your Pi-hole installation next time, you need to run pihole checkout master

Thank you yubiuser - I really appreciate all your work. As an application developer and AppSec person I appreciate all that goes into an application like this.

I am aware of the search function - thank you for pointing it out. It just isn't congruent with my current work flow - something I will likely need to change to adopt to the product changes.

I will also begin closely monitoring the upcoming changes page more closely so I am not surprised like this again.

Skye

We also have an RSS feed at Comments on:

Thankyou for adding the filter checkboxes. This single page is much cleaner, and the filters work great and restore the ability to concentrate on one type of filter at a time, like the previous separate views did.

2 Likes

Ditto on the thank you. The hot-fix is very timely.

I would argue that the single purpose pages required less clicks to accomplish the same thing. At the end of the day it is probably a personal preference.

3 Likes

Love those checkboxes, makes it much easier to manage my lists. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.