WhatsApp (video) call blocked by Pi-Hole

Expected Behaviour:

I can use WhatsApp calls and video calls while using Pi-hole as DNS Server.

Actual Behaviour:

If I try to (video) call someone, Pi-Hole blocks out traffic:

• if I get called from outside my home network with Pi-hole as DNS
  • if I try to call someone from within my home network

If I try to (video) call someone in my home network it works. I can't seem to fish out the necessary Domains for WhatsApp (video) calls from the logs, as they won't show up?

Debug Token

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/msKXTP6h/

Use these tools to determine if Pi-hole is blocking any domains related to your app, and locally whitelist as necessary:

To understand what is causing the issue, as a first step you can try to temporarily disable Pi-hole and try to make a call.

On the web interface, click on Disable Blocking and select "For 5 minutes":

This will give you enough time to test.

Try to make a call:

• If the call is blocked even when Pi-hole is disabled, something else is blocking.
  • If the call is successful when Pi-hole is disabled, use the link supplied by jfb to determine which domains are blocked and then whitelist them.

I wonder how long Android or iOS cache successfully resolved DNS entries for.

1 Like

That's worth a try. I did use the "disblbe blocking" for 5mins and nothing changed. So I'll put the androids in a group and let them bypass Pi-Hole for a day and then try to catch the DNS-traffic. Because within that 5mins nothing came up.

Ok, so I put my Androids in a Group and let them bypass Pi-Hole. After a few minutes I could call them without a problem.
After acitvating Pi-Hole for them again, the calls get blocked again.

Now: thing is: I do have access to pihole.log, but: I have like 62 clients on pihole in my network and I'm struggling to fish out the one Android I'm trying to reach via WhatsApp-Call. I've got a few Router-Changes over the past weeks (don't ask), so I've got like 42 different IPv4/IPv6 adresses attached to the Androids. I just clicked on "flush network table" and I'm hoping I can resume digging into the logs later today...

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.