What is keeping advertisers from using the website domain instead of using separate ad domain names?

Maybe this question has been answered in this forum before, but I wasn't able to find it.

Pi-Hole relies on the fact that many website use specific domains that serve up ads, and by blocking those domains.

But what if Pi-Hole gains such popularity, that many people start using it, and advertisers start to notice that this impacts their business. What is keeping them from just finding a way to serve up the ads through the website's own domain instead? That way they can easily circumvent Pi-Hole. Isn't that something that's coming in the near future, especially if the Pi-Hole (or similar solutions) gain in popularity? I already noticed that CNN for example, is doing that on its website.

This is already happening.

Many of the big players (Facebook, Google, etc.) already do this. For others, it's very inconvenient to self-host ads as there are already useful platforms for people to offer displaying ad as a service.

Yes. Pi-hole works well paired with a browser level-blocker for just this reason. It will be difficult for Pi-hole to block self-hosted ads but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.

Hi Jacob, interesting answer! IMO, that would require that not only DNS requests are handled by Pi-hole but the complete traffic. In that case it would be possible for Pi-hole to parse AdblockPlus-compatible filterlists. Have you entertained the idea of doing this eventually?

I think that Element Hiding (or Cosmetic Filtering as gorhill put it) and injecting scripts in order to defeat anti-adblocking measures would not be possible - but it would certainly be an interesting idea. Do you see other possibilities?

I would not say it is impossible. Using a Webserver, you can gain access to HTTP level URLs. With enough development time anything is possible.

1 Like

Thanks - this makes sense! I'm looking forward to further innovations in Pi-hole. :+1:

1 Like