Weird top domains

The debug log you uploaded in your original post shows conditional forwarding disabled:

CONDITIONAL_FORWARDING=false

In the original debug log yes.. I turned it on since..

After some more research in LAN logs.. it looks like ALL those Apple cache and Bonjour DNS lookup addresses were initiated by our lone iMac... I have validated that content sharing is OFF on that machine, so it's not clear what initiated those lookups.
Anyway, I placed the REGEX from @Bucking_Horn into the pi-hole blacklist and also added the Bonjour names to the list.
I'll check in the am as to impact.

Ok.. so 24 hrs later having blacklisted the errant Apple content caching and Bonjour service ..
Looks like things are running as expected - altho' I don't ever recall adding them previously.
Temp storage is running at 10%

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root        28G  6.2G   20G  24% /
devtmpfs        459M     0  459M   0% /dev
**tmpfs           464M   43M  421M  10% /dev/shm**
tmpfs           464M  6.3M  457M   2% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           464M     0  464M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p6   68M   23M   46M  33% /boot
tmpfs            93M     0   93M   0% /run/user/1000
/dev/mmcblk0p5   30M  462K   28M   2% /media/pi/SETTINGS
tmpfs            93M     0   93M   0% /run/user/999

and LOG sizes look OK

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -la /dev/shm
total 43924
drwxrwxrwt  2 root   root        220 Dec  3 21:20 .
drwxr-xr-x 15 root   root       3660 Dec  3 18:13 ..
-rw-------  1 pihole pihole   323584 Dec  3 21:20 FTL-clients
-rw-------  1 pihole pihole      108 Dec  3 21:21 FTL-counters
-rw-------  1 pihole pihole    65536 Dec  4 16:25 FTL-domains
-rw-------  1 pihole pihole    12288 Dec  3 21:20 FTL-forwarded
-rw-------  1 pihole pihole       28 Dec  4 18:00 FTL-lock
-rw-------  1 pihole pihole    53248 Dec  3 21:20 FTL-overTime
-rw-------  1 pihole pihole 44826624 Dec  4 18:00 FTL-queries
-rw-------  1 pihole pihole       12 Dec  3 21:20 FTL-settings
-rw-------  1 pihole pihole    69632 Dec  4 17:25 FTL-strings

and 24-hr blocking stats look about normal.

THANKS to everyone for their input... MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Glad it's working :slight_smile:

Just want to point out this is a workaround rather than a cure - we now have effectively crippled content cache discovery on your network now.
Also note: Pi-hole or your Apples are not the culprit - your USG is misbehaving.

Content cache discovery and Bonjour are active by default on Apple devices, and it is normal they appear on a network where Apple devices are present - but only a few probes per device a day.

The reason they occured by the million is that your setup included a loop for DNS SRV requests.
The fault was caused by your USG not answering that request with NXDOMAIN, probably because it doesn't recognize the associated host as being of local origin.

Since you've said you didn't touch your USG's WAN DNS settings, it seems likely an update for your Unifi USG is the possible source. And indeed, I have found at least another user with your problem in the Unifi forums. Either that, or you only recently created the loop by enabling Conditional Forwarding in Pi-hole.. disabling it again would help avoiding the loop, but also deprive you of individual device information in Pi-hole's Query Log.

In the current configuration, valid content cache discovery requests or Bonjour network neighbourhood discovery requests are not handled correctly in your network. If you choose to leave it as it is, you should be aware that some services on Apple devices may not be working as expected, e.g. wireless printing over AirPrint is likely to fail without Bonjour.

To fix this, you have to somehow convince your router to supply a correct answer, either by a firmware update patched accordingly, or by injecting the appropriate DNS record into your USG.

As this is not a Pi-hole matter, you'd have more luck on searching Unifi's forums on this, and maybe Apple's for information on their DNS behaviour specifics.

In the meantime, enjoy your Pi-hole filtering again :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.