Web UI for FQDN / LAN.LIST

In raising this issue, I confirm the following:

How familiar are you with the the source code relevant to this issue?:

Expected behaviour:

`Would like a new page that shows and allows for the addition and modification of FQDNs. I am using Pi-Hole as my primary DNS in a couple of small home and lab environments and I would like to be able to make some changes to the internal FQDNs but have to SSH in everytime I want to make these changes or check to see if there is an issue.

A simple editor for the lan.list file and maybe some of the other list would be great.`

Actual behaviour:

None

I presume with FQDN, you mean the hostname of the system/host that Pi-hole is running on ?

hostname -f

This is a setting that is global for all services running on the Pi-hole host.
Pi-hole does not set this hostname.
Pi-hole just copies over the results from hostname -f to the local.list:

cat /etc/pihole/local.list

This lan.list is not part of the default Pi-hole installment:

pi@noads:~ $ sudo find /etc/pihole/ -name lan.list
pi@noads:~ $

You must have added that lan.list with some unofficial howto or install script.

How many times a year do you change hostname for Pi-hole ?
Mine has been running for almost 3 years now without any hostname changes.
And changing hostname on the host should not be taken lightly!
Many processes running on the host depend on accurate hostname that doesnt change all the time.
If for example you run the lighttpd web daemon with SSL/TLS certificates for HTTPS, you would have to renew these certificates as well when changing hostname.
Pi-hole cant do all that and I really wouldn't want Pi-hole to tinker with those settings.

I think the request may be for the feature in 5.0 under current beta test. A page that allows for adding hosts to the lan.list?

Something like Tweak Custom DNS page by DL6ER · Pull Request #1099 · pi-hole/AdminLTE · GitHub ?

1 Like

Yeah sometimes I'm a bit daft :wink:
I see now I misunderstood the question.

Well, to give you the proper credit, we all have different native languages and different understandings for acronyms.

Implemented in v5.0 with "Local DNS Records"