Web UI - Clients (over time) overlay/tooltip cut off on chart - Workaround

This is a workaround for those who have a few clients and that they wish to see the DATA on.

• The line numbers referenced are for Pi-hole: v3.2.1, AdminLTE: v3.2.1, FTL: v2.13

Also seen in this thread (locked). And DEV team is aware of issue.
Clients (over time) graph tooltip out of sight

Expected Behaviour:

Web UI Dashboard: To see all client DATA in overlay/tooltip in 'Clients (over time)' chart

Actual Behaviour:

When a few clients are serviced, DATA in overlay/tooltip is cut off.
This seems to be a limitation of the feature.

Debug Token:

N/A

Running Pi-hole (v3.2.1) on Centos 7
DCHP: ON (approx 16 clients)

Seen on Firefox 57 and Internet Explorer 11 both windowed and maximized.

Issue:
On the 'Dashboard', the 'Clients (over time)' overlay does not show completely. See image.
pihole_chart_original
This occurs whether windowed or maximized, with slight differences between the two.
I'm guessing the overlay is not able to show all clients (16) because the overlay window is larger than the chart veiwport (canvas) so it gets pushed out of view.

Workaround:
In /var/www/html/admin/index.php line 117.

<canvas id="clientsChart" width="800" height="140"></canvas>

If I change the canvas height to 400, that helps with showing all clients in overlay. See image.

pihole_chart_full_mod

I would say if you have a few clients and wish to see this DATA, then increasing the canvas height would be a solution. If you need to change 'Queries over last 24 hours' line 92 is for that fix.

NOTE: If you do 'pihole up' or 'pihole -r' any changes made with be lost.

Thanks for listening.

2 Likes

I'd love to know if there's any movement to fix this. I see an open issue on github, but it's been open for months. This bug is rendering the clients over time graph effectively worthless to me, as not only can I not see all clients' labels, but they're not even displayed in order so I can't even use it to see which color correlates to the highest-activity client.

We're working on many things atm, including getting a bugfix release out, FTLDNS, etc. This is something that we will be working on soon.

3 Likes

Also having this problem on a new install on a RasPi Zero W. Following.