[Web-Interface] status unknown but Pi-hole working without any restrictions

Hello together

I have noticed that the status of the pi-hole is set to "unknown". Via web interface I performed a restart. This did not changed the status. I also restarted the Raspberry Pi on which Pi-hole is installed. Even after that the status remains on "unknown".
Pi-hole_status_unknown
Pi-hole works without problems, I can make and save changes in the web interface, I can see the logs, update the ad lists, etc.

What can I do so that the status is displayed correctly?

Thanks for your help and best regards

I noticed that in the menu on the left side there is the "Button" enable. Click on it once and the status changes to "active".
But as soon as I click somewhere else in the Web GUI or something else is displayed and therefore a refresh is done, the status becomes "unknown" again.

I can also disable pi-hole for a certain time range.
The status changes to "offline" and after the time is over it changes back to "active". But as soon as there is a refresh of the GUI again, the status is no longer active.

Versions are:

  • Pi-hole v5.1.2
  • Web Interface v5.1.1
  • FTL v5.2

Please post the token generated by

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

Try clearing you browser cache.

Thank you very much for your answers!

@yubiuser
I delete the browser cache regularly. E.g. also every time the browser (Firefox) is closed.
But I can still do this explicitly and try again.

@jfb
I will create the debug log tonight (I hope I'll get to it) and post the token.

Hello @jfb

The debug token is https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/3t1aiewp3x

I generated it directly via pihole -d on the Raspberry.
Via web interface this did not work.

Hello @jfb

Are there already first recognitions based on the information in the debug log?

I read that the debug log is deleted after 48 hours. Not that the data is lost...

It seems you've setup a custom block page (which may not directly contribute to your issue).
Also, it'd seem any UI interaction calling pihole would fail:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Dashboard and block page
[✗] Block page X-Header: X-Header does not match or could not be retrieved.
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Expires: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 15:27:24 GMT
Cache-Control: max-age=0
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 15:27:24 GMT
Server: lighttpd/1.4.53

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: contents of /var/log/lighttpd
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 8422 Sep 15 17:27 /var/log/lighttpd/error.log
   2020-09-14 20:10:29: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning:  Executing sudo pihole status web failed. in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/func.php on line 79
   2020-09-14 20:10:30: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning:  Executing sudo pihole -a -i local -web failed. in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/func.php on line 79

What does runing such a command directly on your Pi-hole machine return?

sudo pihole status web

Also, what is the output of:

groups www-data

Thanks for your feedback, @Bucking_Horn

The result of sudo pihole status web is:
"1"

The outpunt of groups www-data is:
www-data : www-data pihole

What is a block page? I did not consciously set this up.
What can I do now to fix it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I have performed pihole -r. Unfortunately without success!

What else can I do?

Did you chose reconfigure or repair?

Both.
First repair and then reconfigure.

Mhhh..

I've looked at the code and it performs a simple check for this output to set the "status"

I don't know why the check fails if the correct answer "1" is returned. Pinging @Developers

Hello together

Really a strange behavior.

I completely rebuilt my Raspberry Pi with Pi-hole last night. Now the status is "active".

I hope that the developers will be able to find a solution for the check.

Your status check may have failed due to permissions, or due to sudo missing from your installation.
Your command output does not show any anomalies in that regard.

As always when inexplicable things happen on a Raspberry Pi, it may be a good idea to check your RPi's system logs for any recent occurences of voltage issues:

zgrep -ni “voltage” /var/log/syslog*

Use grep if your system does not have zgrep.

If that produces any hits, you should consider a different PSU and/or better power cables for your RPi.

Oh, yes this may be because of the permissions.

In the meantime, I have set up a password request for sudo.
I never expected that this would influence the check.

Thanks for the hint @Bucking_Horn