Web interface has failed suddenly

Expected Behaviour:

The web interface should load and work normally.

Actual Behaviour:

The web interface, with no changes made to the pihole system by me, went from working one day to this the next:

This has been running successfully since May. My feeble attempt at improving the situation was to run sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, pihole -up and pihole -r (repair). No joy.

However, the pihole continues to otherwise run properly. I just can't control it.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/7q146l3lke

I've seen this before ... Are you accessing it from outside the network ?

If yes, are you using the /admin path ?

L.E. I also noticed this:

192.168.1.2/24 does not match the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf (https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/use-ipv6-ula-addresses-for-pi-hole/2127)

Hi @RamSet. Thanks so much for the quick reply.

I am not accessing it from outside the network.

I was not using /admin on the url, but when I do it works :slightly_smiling_face:

Not sure what the deal is with the IP address error message. It may have something to do with the fact that this Ubuntu system is actually running in a QNAP container. However this has never been a problem before. That container has a single eth set to 192.168.1.2, and the QNAP bridges that out to its physical port. The QNAP has a completely different IP, of course. Again, this has not been a problem before.

That type of error appears when the default splash page is not rendered properly due to the way the web interface is built.

There is a check/validation for IPs within the page that looks to see if the request belongs to the same subnet and if not, it shows that broken (not really intended) layout, as content is requested (and not available) from the wrong IP.

I believe the fact that it runs in the container has something to do with it.

Not service impacting at all in the big picture.

Hmmmm. For some strange reason the address in the setupVars.conf file was 192.168.1.22. I manually changed it to 192.168.1.2 and rebooted the machine. Still didn't fix it.

I realize it is a minor issue with an easy work-around now, but I wonder if there is a way to fix it?

There is a fix. It would involve editing index.php

It wouldn't survive an update though.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.