Was what happened to me the last 48 hours normal?

I installed Pi Hole using the smart installer. Configured it to use the Google DNS. It assigned itself 192.168.2.14 as the static IP and I left it running.

Without understanding what to do next, I opened my Netgear router settings, went to Basic Settings, and unchecked the Automatic DNS box and checked the manual DNS and typed in the Pi Hole's (above).

Everything seemed to work fine. Going to 192.168.2.14/admin brought me to the statistics page and it looked like the Pi Hole was doing its job.

I returned home that evening and found that I didn't have internet.

I reverted to automatic DNS and then tried to find what the issue was. I found the instructions on how to use the Pi as a DHCP server. But I was not able to go to 192.168.2.14/admin anymore.

I don't have much Linux exposure. I tried to find the Pi Hole application on the Pi, but I could not do so. So I simply opened bash and ran pihole command and it displayed a bunch of log and it did say LAN IP: 192.168.2.14.

I was not able to ping this IP from my laptop.

Out of frustration I pinged 192.168.2.1 from the Pi and it showed response from 192.168.2.6.

On a hunch, I tried 192.168.2.6/admin and that brought up the Pi Hole admin page. I was able to login, access settings, and check the DHCP server on the Pi after unchecking it on my router.

And everything is working again for now.

Why did the Pi Hole's IP change? Will it change again? What did I do wrong?

"It assigned itself 192.168.2.14 as the static IP"
Probably not.
Fixed ip was not saved.

Your steps I think.
Change back your router to enable dhcp and dns like it was before pihole.
All working? Fine.
Now check the range of the dhcp scope in your router. Where does it start?
Pick a number below that start in your range to be assigned to your fresh raspbian install.
(192.168.2.6 seems like a good start.)

Wipe your sd card of the pi and reload a fresh rasp image.
Boot the pi and now do all the things needed to have a freah pi.
Change the pi's network card to a fixed ip. 192.168.2.6/24 (or mask 255.255.255.0) and gateway is probably 192.168.2.1 (gateway is your netgear ip) DNS just use 8.8.8.8

Reboot the pi and make sure the ip sticks to 6 and you can browse the internet on the pi.
Is that all working?

Yes: install pihole with the bash.
No errors?, admin page on 192.168.1.6/admin.?
Ok reboot pi.... All still working?

Now you have a fixed ip with pihole.

Now: change the automatic dns on the netgear to the 192.168.2.6, just like you did earlier.

On a (windows) client pc. take out the network cable and put it back in.
In a dos prompt type:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /all

Now... does it have your pihole ip 192.168.2.6 as dns server?
Yes....almost there.
In the same dosbox type nslookup (enter)
does your pihole answer without delay?
now after the > type www.google.com
Do you have an ip resolved?

Yes? Well done. Another happy pihole user.

do not enable the dhcp server in the pihole admin page.
Your router is still doing that.

Jeroen

1 Like

On a (windows) client pc. take out the network cable and put it back in.
In a dos prompt type:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /all

Now… does it have your pihole ip 192.168.2.6 as dns server?

I followed your steps until here with no issues.

I have a windows laptop that is on a WiFi network. So I toggled airplane mode to simulate disconnecting the cable. But going through the ipconfig steps did not show that 192.168.2.100(that's what I set) was the DNS. This is the WAN adapter's settings:

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 77094867
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-20-91-EA-A2-98-5F-D3-EC-94-60
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

The Pi Hole is only blocking ads on the .1.1 client. However, my laptop doe s seem to be seeing the effects of it. When I visit sites (say Slack) I see it immediately being allowed in the query log.

Now, I could go into Network & Sharing under Control Panel, and change the IPv4 properties to use the .1.100 as the DNS, but I thought I didn't have to manually do it for each device.

Also, how does this work on my Android phone? I saw an ad on YouTube in the app when I was testing it on my phone.

Thanks for your help.

You need to change dns server in the dhcp server settings in your router. So NOT in Pihole admin page.
You changed the connection settings ...ie. how your router connects to the internet.
Set back the dns from isp.

Find the dhcp settings on your router probably under a tab called lan.

Also looks like your pi is now 192.168.1.100 instead of the discussed 192.168.2.6.
That is a whole diffrent setting as when you started...
Is this a test for me?

If you ever find the DHCP server settings on your router, make sure the range starts with 192.168.1.101 as you made pihole 192.168.1.100.

I couldn't reach my router last night through the browser. So I reset it. And I added my devices back first. Since I thought they'd be given IPs starting from 2 onward I decided to set the Pi to 100. I think I just understood what's happening given that my laptop got assigned .105.

Reverted Basic Setting's to automatic for DNS

Changed DHCP server to start from .101

Went through the ipconfig release, renew, and all after toggling airplane mode. Still see this:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.105(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 9, 2018 9:10:17 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 10, 2018 9:10:17 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

This is the Pi hole admin page

When you were giving the initial set of instructions, you asked me to set the DNS range to start from .6 (when the Pi was .6). Now that it is 100, shouldn't it start from .100 too?

No, as you have set your pihole to 192.168.1.100 dchp should not assign some other device 192.168.1.100.
DNS is NOT DHCP.
DHCP has a range of adresses that will be assigned to end clients

Anyway. Look like the setup is pretty ok now.
Looking at the screenshots... draytec router?
Remember correctly you can not set the DNS in lan settings in draytec.
Have to send you back to the DNS of the isp. change that to 192.168.1.100
Like you did.

Pihole will work, but your admin page will only show requests from 192.168.1.1
As the draytec will do the request for the pc's/mobile.

Some sites mention you can set the lan dns settings in "applications" on the left menu of the draytec

But first lets keep it like it is now.

As a test:
add domain piholetest.com to the blacklist of the pi.
On a pc: ping piholetest.com
The reply should be 192.168.1.100

1 Like

piholetest.com was successful.

System looks like it's working, though I updated the blacklists from your other posts, and weirdly Facebook Messenger is dead on the site on my laptop and the app is not getting notifications on my phone.

Yep. More blocking meens complications as well.
I mentioned the lists, I did not tell someone to use them...
Luckily you can disable the block lists very easy in the gui , disable wifi on the phone and enable it again , retry.
Also trace the log. It will tell you what is blocked.
I do not use the facebook crap, so I had not noticed the block.

1 Like