Video showcasing how Pihole might be used (in conjunction with OpenWrt) for increasingly-strict Parental control

Hello,

FYI: I recently published a 1-hour video, where I demoed Pihole, alongside OpenWrt, showing 4 increasing levels of internet restriction, for younger kids (say ages 7 to 13), who may have a smartphone or tablet, but don't have a SIM card yet - so Parental control within the home LAN is moreso possible.

I showed off Pihole's Query Logs, and Adlists, which can be used as a milder form of social media restriction, or just for watching where the child's devices are connecting to (granted the kid hasn't figured out about circumventing DHCP, or use a VPN yet). Increasing restrictiveness is also shown later on (in OpenWrt). Like where to block outgoing access (by MAC address) entirely, for periods of time.

Fast-forward in to 40:12 to jump straight to the part where Pihole starts being shown.

Note: 2 Raspberry Pi's were used: one for Pihole, the other for OpenWrt.

1 Like

This is great, thanks for creating it.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! :slightly_smiling_face:

I'm planning to make a part 2 this upcoming Monday Nov. 28th, 10:30am MYT (with a livestream of the video as well), should you be interested. Your questions and comments are welcome (live), please see here for more details about joining.

I'll be drilling down into more details about how I got it all to work, many of which got skimmed over in the video above.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.