Valet Web Development and PiHole compatibility

Hi everyone,

Some context :slight_smile:

All my traffic is routed through pi-hole because I set my router DNS to my pihole IP

I'm trying to install Valet for Windows GitHub - cretueusebiu/valet-windows: Laravel Valet for Windows.

out of the box it doesn't work until I configure Acrilic DNS

So to configure my Acrylic DNS for my Windows 10 Install I use this tutorial

http://mayakron.altervista.org/wikibase/show.php?id=AcrylicWindows10Configuration

Now it works, however it kind of disable the piHole "purpose" because now I'm bypassing it....

Any suggestion to solve this issue ?

Also all my development url will always end with a special url such as ".loc" for example domain.loc

debug token if needed : je8wgi7gf8

OK, according to the wiki you linked, it defaults to using google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 servers as its upstream when you install it.

You'll need to edit your acrylic configuration file (AcrylicConfiguration.ini), and change
PrimaryServerAddress=8.8.8.8
to specify your Pi-hole's IP address (check that address is correct) :
PrimaryServerAddress=192.168.0.175

also change the entry for the secondary server
SecondaryServerAddress=8.8.4.4
to specify nothing (don't erase the line, just remove the 8.8.4.4)
SecondaryServerAddress=

1 Like

Thanks for your reply

This is what I did :

1- Applied your changes to the .ini file
2- Set up my IPV4 DNS to point to 127.0.0.1 and the IPV6 DNS to ::1 (as per the tutorial linked in the first post)

Result : I can access the local server and workspace but the ads are not blocked anymore

Alternative : If I remove the 127.0.0.1 and ::1 DNS changes, I cannot access the local server anymore.

Thanks

Fixed !

For those encountering the same issue there is a simple fix

just use the command : valet domain localhost

all your local development URL will end with .localhost and google chrome and firefox automatically resolves them to 127.0.0.1 so there is no need to go into your adapter properties and change the DNS, just leave it to automatically resolves

It does restrict you to only use .localhost domain

Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.