Using PiHole with DoH and DoT (+dnscrypt)

Hi there,

so i've been using the dnsproxy client from AdguardTeam for a while now.. You can use multiple upstreams (including tls and doh) and you can set 2 different upstream modes, either letting the proxy pick the fastest upstream or you can choose parallel queries to all upstreams.

Github Link:

It does not support DNSSEC though, so i combined it with dnscrypt-proxy. I set dnsproxy as upstream dns server on pihole and i set the dnscrypt-proxy listen address + tls://one.one.one.one as upstream on dnsproxy with the option --all-servers to use parallel queries.

This also works in combination with nginx tls encryption, so you can use pihole blocking outside lan.

https://1.1.1.1/help#eyJpc0NmIjoiWWVzIiwiaXNEb3QiOiJZZXMiLCJpc0RvaCI6IlllcyIsInJlc29sdmVySXAtMS4xLjEuMSI6IlllcyIsInJlc29sdmVySXAtMS4wLjAuMSI6IlllcyIsInJlc29sdmVySXAtMjYwNjo0NzAwOjQ3MDA6OjExMTEiOiJZZXMiLCJyZXNvbHZlcklwLTI2MDY6NDcwMDo0NzAwOjoxMDAxIjoiWWVzIiwiZGF0YWNlbnRlckxvY2F0aW9uIjoiTVVDIiwiaXNXYXJwIjoiTm8iLCJpc3BOYW1lIjoiQ2xvdWRmbGFyZSIsImlzcEFzbiI6IjEzMzM1In0

Another problem is that dnsproxy has no service file and can only be started through command line, so i created one + a simple config file. (The config file goes in /opt/dnsproxy).

dnsproxy.service:

[Unit]
Description=dnsproxy

After=syslog.target
After=network.target

[Service]
Restart=always
RestartSec=2s
WorkingDirectory=/opt/dnsproxy
EnvironmentFile=/opt/dnsproxy/dnsproxy.conf
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/dnsproxy -l $LISTEN_ADDR -p $LISTEN_PORT -u $UPSTREAM_1 -u $UPSTREAM_2 -f $FALLBACK --all-servers
CapabilityBoundingSet=CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE
AmbientCapabilities=CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

dnsproxy.conf:

LISTEN_ADDR=
LISTEN_PORT=
UPSTREAM_1=
UPSTREAM_1=
FALLBACK=

In this forum, you can directly paste or Upload images.
And you can also add small text files, by pasting and highlighting them and choosing </> Preformatted text from the editor menu.

This would improve accessibility for your readers, sparing them from being (misleadingly) urged to join some third party platform just to watch a few lines of text.

2 Likes

edited, looks better now thanks

1 Like