Using Pi-Hole as secondary dns server

Hi, I run Pi-Hole at home behind an AD DNS server. This makes me able to have a failsafe configuration. If my Pi-hole is crashing (power breakdown or else) the AD DNS will relay my DNS requests to the node. In this configuration, is it still possible to use the Group managment Pi-Hole feature with IP configuration for user? I have one hop to my end-user machine? End-user machine --> AD DNS --> Pi-Hole. I'm not sure how encasulation works with DNS and if Pi-Hole can evaluate the actual source of the request and apply the correct group membership. Does pihole needs to have open face to the original DNS requester to extract the source IP or MAC?

Runing on Docker ubuntu based system

Looks like I'm doing it wrong. I found a really good post about Pi-Hole AD integrtation : https://www.vikash.nl/use-pi-hole-with-microsoft-active-directory/ The general Idea is to use Pi-Hole as primary DNS and integrate it into my AD infra. Using the Pi-Hole as DNS redirector in AD is easy but not a really good solution. Depending of what your objectives are.

If you can setup your AD to support ECS Pi-hole might be able to

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.