Using Local DNS .lan domains with Google Wifi

Hi All,

I'm currently running PiHole in a docker container (compose config below), but seem to be having a problem using the .lan domain with Local DNS Records.

pihole:
    container_name: pihole
    image: pihole/pihole:latest
    ports:
      - "53:53/tcp"
      - "53:53/udp"
      - "67:67/udp"
      - "80:80/tcp"
      - "443:443/tcp"
    environment:
      - TZ=Europe/London
      - WEBPASSWORD=[password]
      - ServerIP=[IP]
    # Volumes store your data between container upgrades
    volumes:
       - /home/ubuntu/pihole/etc-pihole:/etc/pihole/
       - /home/ubuntu/pihole/etc-dnsmasq.d/:/etc/dnsmasq.d/
    cap_add:
      - NET_ADMIN
    dns:
    restart: unless-stopped

I have a small Nginx VM at IP 192.168.86.124 where I point my Local DNS records at and, depending on which is used, will proxy_pass to the correct IP/Port somewhere else in my network.

I believe Google WiFi uses dnsmasq to register hostnames to the .lan doman, and I think that might be conflicting with my Local DNS names. The following is an example of the Google WiFi registered .lan domain against my nginx box.

╰─ nslookup nginx.lan
Server:		192.168.86.1
Address:	192.168.86.1#53

Name:	nginx.lan
Address: 192.168.86.124

Example

If I set up two Local DNS Records in the PiHole UI

Both point to the NGINX box (192.168.86.124), but the nslookup outputs show a difference:

╰─ nslookup deluge.home.com

Name:	deluge.home.com
Address: 192.168.86.124
╰─ nslookup deluge.home.lan

** server can't find deluge.home.lan: NXDOMAIN

Is there something I need to do, to get .lan domains playing nicely between Google WiFi <--> PiHole

bumpedy bump bump

If the Google hub knows the .lan domains then set up Conditional Forwarding in Pi-hole to point .lan (and the IP range for PTRs) to the Google hub devices DNS server.

Thanks for responding @​DanSchaper (sorry can't actually tag you, as I'm a new user)!

set up Conditional Forwarding in Pi-hole to point .lan (and the IP range for PTRs) to the Google hub devices DNS server.

I have my Google WiFi's DNS server configured to the IP of my PiHole box, so I'd effectively be creating a Conditional Forward back to PiHole. Is that right?

Or am I supposed to be pointing the Conditional Forward to the Routers IP?

Pi-hole needs to have a source of truth from whomever knows the .lan to IP mapping.

If the Google hub holds that information then Pi-hole needs to know to ask the hub for the results. I don't know how the Google device works but if it holds the .lan information then it shouldn't loop. I've seen a good number of topics here that are specific to Google's devices (you did search, right?) and most of them end up using Pi-hole's DHCP server and disabling/blocking Google's built in DHCP server.

If the Google hub holds that information then Pi-hole needs to know to ask the hub for the results.

So, the Conditional Forwarding rule should point to the hubs router IP (*.1) as opposed to the hubs DNS server (which is PiHole)?

I've seen a good number of topics here that are specific to Google's devices (you did search, right?) and most of them end up using Pi-hole's DHCP server and disabling/blocking Google's built in DHCP server.

I did search, but maybe I didn't search long/effectively enough as I didn't find a topic that was the same issue as this.

It needs to point to whomever can tell Pi-hole the information. The exact IP is up to you to try and determine.