USING AND CONFIGURING OPENDNS AND PI-HOLE

The issue I am facing:
HELLO Everyone,
Please bear with me, for I know many of you might feel my questions to be somewhat too silly...

You can skip this part --------------
Ok, I am completely out of touch, because just learned yesterday about parental control through OpenDNS... with my router. My wife was trying to get the Roku device stops sending obscene ads because our kids use it... and I came across first time with OpenDns... meaning I have but ZERO understanding of the whole concept. As I set up parental control, I was searching how to block ads from Roku and many other domains and this morning Pi-hole popped up in my search... So much I was out of touch, that I copied the command line, and went into my Google Platform Server running Centos... and installed it out there... (That's to explain how much I am unlearned of this)

Ok, now I need a step by step what to do, to have things work, for I see many people are relying on it... to browse Ads free...
------------------------- End of Blablabla

Issue:
Now here comes my set up:

I have just installed with the command line " curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash" on ubuntu WHICH runs on Parallel Desktop - Running on my MacBook Pro (can Pi-hole run on Mac standalone without VM?)

My modem/router is a Netgear C6250-100NAS, and I have a Wifi Extender Netgear EX8000 Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band Mesh Extender

I tried connecting on http://192.168.0.90/admin/ and error...

So I went into my router, advanced, internet setup, dns... to get the DNS sent to 192.168.0.90 but I got this error "The DNS Server setup will not take effect due to Parental Controls is enabled. If you need to configure DNS manually, please disable the Parental Controls." :

At this point I will kindly ask a step by step to get OpenDns and Pi-hole working together with my current system

If, I could also skip the Parallel VM, and install directly on my Mac please provide me a complete step by step to have all of this working

Details about my system:
MacBook Pro - Catalina - 10.15.4 >>> Parallel VM Desktop >>>Ubuntu 20
Netgear Modem/Router C6250-100NAS
Netgear EX8000 Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band Mesh Extender
Parental Control Enabled with OpenDns

If you setup Pihole on your MacBook your DNS resolution via Phole will only work when your MacBook is up and running. If you shut it down, take it to another location all clients will lose internet connectivity unless you have an secondary DNS-Server.

Check yout routers manual.

As I can see from your screenshot your're running nginx as web server - which isn't officially supported by pihole and known to cause issues with pihole v5.0. Search the forum how others using nginx have resolved this issues.

1 Like

Thank you for your answers. I have researched how to get things started, and finally got things up and running... But, I'm certain there is a proper configuration I'm missing.

I did see a topic on pi-hole how to use nginx, but I have uninstalled it to use Apache 2.

However as you pointed out, I realized that pi-hole was not similar to OpenDNS where it can remotely do the work through the Router etc... and needed a machine running 24/7... So I ordered the Raspberry Pi 4 motherboard to install on it see what I could get... Still waiting for the Order to come in.

At this time, the issue I'm facing is whether or not I properly Configured Parental Control, OpenDns and Pi-hole...

I was able to have the Pi-hole Ip as Dns, but once I activated the OpenDns the ip was replaced...

here are a series of screen shots, if anyone could look see what I could have missed, or misconfigured, because certain websites are having ads and some other don't....
Another issue only the machine that has pi-hole running can see its IP address filtered in the query log... ( FOR EXAMPLE, I don't see any of my Roku devices IPs, or Cellphones, or this second computer IPs from which I'm typing in the query log ... )

MY QUESTION WILL BE WHAT IS THE PROPER SET UP AND CONFIGURATION COMBINING OPENDNS, PARENTAL CONTROL AND PI-HOLE on my Netgear?...

Thank you

Screen Shots of what I got:

I'm not sure how your setup should look like:
Client -> Pihole->OpenDNS?

Enter the IP of the Pihole here.

Here the IP starts with 190 which should probably be 192.?

You have to hand out the IP of the Pihole as DNS-Server via DHCP to all Clients in the LAN?

1 Like

** Here the IP starts with 190 which should probably be 192. ?**

Thank you yubiuser! I missed that so GOOD! My mind was reading 192 while my hands ket=pt typing 190 everywhere! lol. Good catch and THANK YOU. That already solves 60% issues!

I have received my raspberry from canakit and it took me a while to figure out I was supposed to insert the Rasp image boot, I made from my computer into the slot to get started. Cause I tried to display at no avail, and thought I might have broken the HDMI.. when Actually I simply did not have any boot device inside... (I thought the card will load itself automatically )... well, new user silly errors!

Anyway, if you ever come across a tuto on how to set up properly the Rasp and Open DNS and stuffs let me know. As you can see, I'm just a newbie in this and it can take me at least a WEEK to get well comfortable of this new system...

For now, I just don't even know what I'm supposed to be looking for... lol.

But thank you!

So pihole is working now as it should?

On part yes. But still having plenty of ads, especially on my roku devices and some websites...

Use the Query Log to see which domains are queried from the devices and add those to the blacklist.
Pihole can't remove all ads - it it only capable to filter on domain level. In browsers I use uBlock Origin to filter additional ads.

1 Like

Worked... got another issue. But will open new thread.
Thank you