Using a PI 3B as PI-Hole and wireless access point

My internet connection is via an android phone. Desired setup is to:

1. Install pihole on the pi
  2. Share the phone's connection with the pi via USB tethering
  3. Share the pi's connection with my PCs via a wireless hotspot

I've succeeded with:

• (1 and 2) together - enjoying pihole-filtered internet on the pi itself with tethered internet.
  • (2 and 3) together - running a hotspot from the pi that shares its tethered internet access with my PCs

But 1 and 3 have been interfering with one another. When pi-hole is enabled, my hotspot is failing to share internet.

Has anyone produced a guide for this use-case?

Why do you need to tether the Pi to the phone? Can your phone create a wireless personal hotspot? If it can, put the Pi on the network like you would with a router-sourced network.

The pi has actually had substantial difficulty connecting to the phone's hotspot. It connects, but unreliably and randomly (as far as I can tell).

In any case, I don't see any clear path to enabling the pi-hole dns blocking for other devices (PCs) that share the same access point.

Most tethering situations don't allow clients to communicate with each other.

1 Like

Yes. This is why I plan to use the USB tethering so that the pi has access, and so that the pi can then act as host / server to my PCs as clients. That way there isn't any need for client-client communication.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.