User Conflict by Whitelist or Blacklist Regex

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

If you are Experiencing issues with a Pi-hole install that has non-standard elements (e.g you are using nginx instead of lighttpd, or there is some other aspect of your install that is customised) - please use the Community Help category.

Expected Behaviour:

System should alert the user that the same input if elsewhere.

Raspberry OS
Raspberry PI 4b

Actual Behaviour:

When entering information into either, the blacklist or whitelist management section, a conflict with the same input if found in the opposite management configuration will create undesirable result. For example if the user input “(.|^)klaviyo($|.\w+)” by mistake into whitelist without first checking the right management and check the blacklist later which is the true management for the input. The user will see nothing in the blacklist management so the user input again the same info thinking all is good but has created a conflict without realising their mistake.

The individual black- and whitelist pages will be removed in one of the next versions of Pi-hole. It will be replaced by the "Domain" page you can already find under "Group Management". Here, you will always see both of them. Does that solve your particular issue?

Also, note that checking for exact equality is only one possible case here. A user might have added added two different regex that still achieve the same matching. Very much simplified, thous could be a and [a]. They are exactly equivalent but not identical. Really comparing equality in regular expressions is very hard.

I have been using Group Management for sometime now which is much better, however I thought I just bring it to your attention in case other users suffer from the same fate, it has happen to me a couple of time and caught myself there after doing so with the other method. What I meant was the "exact equality" was replicated in both blacklist and whitelist as shown in the image not a variant on the regex. But I do understand were your coming from but that not the issue.

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.