Use spare pi for redundancy help

Hello,

I've got my Pi-Hole set up perfectly now and I'm really please with it. I'm having to use it as a DHCP server too as my ISP router doesn't let me do this.

The issue I have is if the Pi gets rebooted we can't use the internet for obvious reasons. Anyone I have a Pi Zero all setup with Pi Hole install, but I wanted to add it's IP address to the main Pi Holes DHCP scope for redundancy but it looks like I can't.

I was hoping to have their IPs as DNS1 and DNS2 in the DHCP scope.

Any other solution? I guess I could turn off DHCP and install a separate DHCP server on the 2 PCs.

Thanks

Hi,

That's what I'm trying to do though.

I'm using the first Pi as a DHCP server, but I can't amend the DHCP settings for the DNS servers. I wanted to add the other PI (zero) as a secondary DNS server in the DHCP scope as the Backup.

The GUI doesn't seem to allow this.

You don't do this in the GUI - you do it in Linux with dnsmasq configuration files.

When you get this set up, then the DHCP Pi will give clients its own IP and the IP of the other Pi for DNS. That doesn't make it a secondary or backup server - the clients are free to use whichever PI they choose. If one goes down, they won't get a response from that one and will move to the other.

Thanks, this sound right to me and what I need to achieve. So I have enable DHCP on Pi-Hole, where would I go to add/amend the DHCP scope via the commands line?

/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf doesn't seem to be configured, but Pi-Hole is issued IPs to the network fine, I guess it is somewhere else?

Thanks

This is from the thread I referenced:

sudo nano /etc/dnsmasq.d/02-pihole-dhcp.conf

dhcp-option=6,Pi-holeIP,SecondaryDNSIP

sudo /etc/init.d/pihole-FTL restart

2 Likes

Sorry I couldn't see your reference for some reason, however your commands have worked a treat.

Thanks you so much!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.