Updating base OS from stretch

The issue I am facing:

First question here, but long time pi-hole user. I installed pi-hole so long ago it is on raspbian stretch.

Details about my system:

pi 3B on raspbian stretch, serves home lan .

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:

Only updated pi-hole and done apt-get update/upgrade cycles.

Short question, can I do dist-upgrade, or should I start fresh with the latest raspbian? I found a thread on here saying dist-upgrade was deprecated, but that was from 2017 and I wonder if the advice is still the same.

Also if I start afresh, how do I transfer over my dhcp fixed IP allocations and other settings?

Thanks all.

You can do an in-place change of distribution by editing your sources lists, but this is not recommended by Raspberry Pi OS maintainers. I have done this on about four Pi's, with some good results but not all good results. It's a crap shoot.

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=323279

I recommend a fresh install of Bullseye, then a fresh install of Pi-hole on that. To transfer your existing Pi-hole settings to the new install, export them using the teleporter function (web admin GUI > settings > teleporter), and then you can import them into the new install.

Thank you so much.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.