Update failed - DNS not running (Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS)

ubuntu
v4-0

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Update to v4 and it to work

Actual Behaviour:

Getting error - DNS not running

Debug Token:

h5amq7kjum

Hi - I updated my pihole today to the new V4 using the pihole -up command
The update failed (sorry it scrolled off the screen), so i’m not sure at which point.
Running pihole -r gives the following output: https://pastebin.com/q0QpE6A3

It’s showing that dnsmasq isn’t running - confirmed with systemctl status dnsmasq
So I start the service and try to access the webpage

I get a page with the words - Lost connection to API in the 4 boxes up the top and FTL offline in the status box.
The FTL service is running, so I restarted it.
Showing the status of the FTL service gives me the following:
https://pastebin.com/FdNAJ38U
I note the line - Oct 08 00:13:19 dnsfilter pihole-FTL[5317]: dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Permission denied

I’m running it in a lxc container and it’s been working fine up to this update.

Any ideas?

In V4, dnsmasq is embedded in pihole-FTL, so dnsmasq no longer runs as a separate process. pihole-FTL should be listening on port 53.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/dns-resolver/

What is the output of the following from the Pi-Hole host terminal:

sudo netstat -nltup | grep 'Proto\|:53 \|:67 \|:80 \|:471'

I get the following:

root@dnsfilter:~# netstat -nltup | grep 'Proto\|:53 \|:67 \|:80 \|:471'
(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
 will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:80              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
tcp6       0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN      -

I have now stopped the dnsmasq service and restarted FTL, but still getting the same error when looking at the status of FTL

Oct 08 10:08:54 dnsfilter pihole-FTL[7716]: dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Permission denied

These related Ubuntu threads may be of assistance:

After a bit more investigation, it was found the user pihole does not have enough privileges to start FTL.
The command:
setcap CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE,CAP_NET_RAW,CAP_NET_ADMIN+eip /usr/bin/pihole-FTL
Gave an error:

Failed to set capabilities on file `/usr/bin/pihole-FTL' (Invalid argument)
The value of the capability argument is not permitted for a file. Or the file is not a regular (non-symlink) file

It may be because it’s within a LXC container, but changing the /etc/init.d/pihole-FTL file from

su -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/pihole-FTL" "$FTLUSER"

to

/usr/bin/pihole-FTL

looks to have resolved it.

Is there a fallback to using the setcap command for containers that could be setup? I know it was designed for Pi’s, but many of us are running this on normal servers since it’s so good.

DNS resolution is not available (Ubuntu 18.04.1)

Your environment might not support Linux capabilities, so the recommended fix is to remove the setcap line and run Pi-hole as root (you did this second part with your changes).

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.