Unsupported OS detected: Raspbian 9

I wanted to bump this because I've just tried pihole -up and had the exact same error - "Unsupported OS detected: Raspbian 9". I'm running pihole on an RPi 1B, which until 2 days ago, had been updated to the then current version of PiHole without errors

additional info. As I said, before this current update I was successfully running the previous update. The dashboard showed updates available to pihole, ftl and web interface, so I ran Putty, logged in as usual and ran pihole -up which did some stuff (i wasn't watching) and when I checked back it had errored with 'unsupported os...'. I tried the suggested "sudo PIHOLE_SKIP_OS_CHECK=true pihole -r" but that then seemed to want to reinstall it, so I closed putty to cancel that.

Everything seems to still be running fine, and the dashboard says:

• PI-HOLE [V5.11.4]
  • FTL [V5.15] [UPDATE AVAILABLE!]
  • WEB INTERFACE [V5.13]

Rapbian 9 is unsupported since the last Pi-hole release. Please consider to upgrade your OS to one that is still supported by its maintainers.

To update your Pi-hole installation you need to set PIHOLE_SKIP_OS_CHECK=true. Its all well explained in the help text displayed which is shown when the update failed due to an unsupported OS.

If you are seeing this message after having run pihole -up:
sudo PIHOLE_SKIP_OS_CHECK=true pihole -r
(In this case, your previous run of pihole -up will have already updated the local repository)

See the "Info" box here: Prerequisites - Pi-hole documentation

thanks. i'll update to a newer version of Raspbian.

Stretch (Raspbian 9) moved out of extended TLS support by Debian/Raspbian at the end of June 2022. It is no longer supported by either the OS developers or Pi-hole.

thanks. I'd not realised that, so thought it might be an error. I've done a Teleporter back up and set aside some time to upgrade to Bullseye

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.