Unexpected behaviour while blocking/whitelisting with similar regex rules

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Please ensure that you are running the latest version of the beta code.
Run pihole -up to update to the latest, then verify that the problem still exists before reporting it.

Pi-hole version is v4.3.2-435-g5878502 (Latest: v4.4) AdminLTE version is v4.3.2-433-g0b4a5de5 (Latest: v4.3.3) FTL version is vDev-71e8498 (Latest: v4.3.1)

Problem with Beta 5.0:
I add rule ^xn--.*\..*$ to regex blacklist
and ^xn--.*\.de$ to the regex whitelist, as shown here:

I expected that all punycode domains get blocked, except those ends with .de.

But now all punycode domains stays blocked.

Debug Token:
4n7y0m4yc6

The regex entries for punycode both appear to be black and not white:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Domainlist (0/1 = exact/regex whitelist, 2/3 = exact/regex blacklist)
   id    type  domain                                                                                                enabled  date_added           date_modified        comment                                           
   ----  ----  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  -------  -------------------  -------------------  --------------------------------------------------                                     
   134   3     ^xn--.*\..*$                                                                                          0        2020-02-25 23:08:29  2020-02-26 20:43:04                                                    
   135   2     ^xn--.*\.de$                                                                                          0        2020-02-25 23:08:54  2020-02-26 20:43:05

How did you add the regex entries? The web interface does seem to contradict the debug output.

I added them via the web interface.

2/3 = exact/regex blacklist

I was curious and tested these two entries as described and its working exactly as expected.

Can you provide a debug token so we can compare the list type output?

It's up. cwrxuc9dyv

Thanks, looks like the type identifiers are incorrect in our display.

450   3     ^xn--.*\..*$                                                                                          1        2020-02-26 21:15:59  2020-02-26 21:15:59                                                    
   451   2     ^xn--.*\.de$                                                                                          1        2020-02-26 21:16:35  2020-02-26 21:16:35

How did you verified that it works as expected?
I've tested it with a nslookup command on a win10 system using and tried to resolve müller.de, which is coverted to xn--mller-kva.de.

Okay, I have it now.

From the server’s CLI it got resolved correcty and after double-checking I saw that windows nslookup command had added the router's domain suffix (.fritz.box) to the domain.

Thanks to all.

1 Like

Thanks, it did bring up the debug output issue, thank you for that.

1 Like

One hint:
Some browsers like to try to add a www. before the FQDN. To make sure that this will be filtered too you'd better write

(\.|^)xn--.*\..*$
1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Regex Chatter

Whoops. Put on the Todo. Thanks for notifying!

Incorrect debugger text fixed by

1 Like