[Understanding] Are FTLDNS and Unbound the same thing?

Hello, I would like to install Pi-hole, and reading the blog, something remains unclear to me : are unbound and FTLDNS the same thing?

I read an article that refers to the installation of Unbound in parallel with pi-hole (the title says "FTLDNS and Unbound Combined", then a few months later, there is this article saying that FTLDNS which is supposed to do exactly the same as Unbound (DSN resolver) is directly integrated with pi-hole 4.0.
And since that article, I can't see no more mention of Unbound anywhere.

I probably misunderstood.

Have you just renamed the Unbound function as "FTLDNS" or are the two complementary?
How easy is to set-up both of them ?

Thank you very much for your kind help !

This is not exactly true but you are surely not the first victim of the confusion about exact DNS terminology.

Let me start at the beginning: Before Pi-hole v4.0, we used dnsmasq as DNS server. Note that dnsmasq is not strictly a DNS resolver as it cannot resolve domains from the root zone down to the subdomain you want. Instead, dnsmasq should rather be described as DNS forwarder. Unbound, on the contrary is a true DNS resolver as it can do all the resolving by itself.

With Pi-hole v4.0, which features our FTLDNS server, we integrated the functionality of dnsmasq into our own engine. We actually did a bit more, but the superficial summary is that we now offer our own DNS forwarder. This offers a variety of benefits, but those are not subject of your current question, so I will skip this here.

To summarize: Unbound and FTLDNS are two separate things. They have always been separated and will always be separate.

It is very straightforward and ...

.. you can follow this guide straight ahead assuming you mean the guide from our official documentation.

Don't hesitate to ask in case you have further questions.

1 Like

Hi, thank you so much for your detailed feedback, I appreciate !
I will read the documentation carefully to install Unbound in parallel of FTLDNS.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.