Unblocking a device that uses a different gateway not working

Hi Guys.

I saw another thread here that shows instructions for making it so pi hole doesn't act as a DNS server for a specific device: Unblocking a single devices

I need this so that my NAS uses google DNS servers while all my other devices use pi hole. This will allow me to have my NAS be connected to a VPN on my secondary router at all times while allowing other devices to bypass VPN by using my primary router.

So I added the following to the DNS/DHCP section of my primary Tomato based router under the DNSMASQ area as that thread stated:

dhcp-option=6,192.168.1.4

dhcp-option=tag:googlesdns1,6,8.8.8.8
dhcp-option=tag:googlesdns2,6,8.8.4.4

dhcp-host=00:11:32:XX:XX:XX,set:googlesdns1

The pi hole is my DNS server for all my devices on my primary router as you can see from the first part of the DNSMASQ entry I listed.

But it is not working. The device in question cannot resolve DNS requests so apps on it such as Sonarr will not work. It’s a Synology NAS that uses my secondary VPN router as its gateway. The NAS is the only device using the VPN router as its gateway. I am thinking the NAS using a different gateway then the pi is the reason behind this but thought the instructions in that thread would fix it. Any ideas?

What is the output of this command on the NAS?

dig google.com

Actually I noticed my VPN router's VPN connection was down. So once reconnected, it seems the issue was resolved. But I did enter dnsmasq entries:

dhcp-option=6,192.168.1.4

# Google DNS
dhcp-option=tag:googlesdns1,6,8.8.8.8
dhcp-option=tag:googlesdns2,6,8.8.4.4

#VPN Router, NAS set to Google DNS
dhcp-host=E4:95:6E:XX:XX:XX,set:googledns1
dhcp-host=00:11:32:XX:XX:XX,set:googledns1

So I'm not sure if the dnsmasq entries is really even needed, but thought it couldnt hurt.

Just wondering, can I also set another set of:

dhcp-host=E4:95:6E:XX:XX:XX,set:googledns2
dhcp-host=00:11:32:XX:XX:XX,set:googledns2

For the second google dns server and it will use that one if the first one doesnt resolve? Or can I only do one for each MAC?

I think it would override the setting.