Unable to update Pi-hole

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Should be able to update Pi-Hole from the command prompt

Actual Behaviour:

I get "no route to host" errors connecting to GitHub, and then a message at the end to contact support and pi-hole does not update

Debug Token

n5q15eqja0

Do you have internet connectivity on the Pi-hole? Having no route to host sounds like there is a network error.

Can you ping google.com and ping github.com successfully?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

I can ping google OK, but I get a "Destination host unreachable" for GitHub, so that is probably the cause of the error. I tried a few other sites and they gave the same error, so it looks like for some reason I can only access Google, although the Pi-Hole does work ok.

What IP address is being used for GitHub? dig github.com to see if it's a remote address or if it's being intercepted.

It came back with 140.82.118.3

Can you ping that IP address? Or run a tracert / traceroute to that IP?

it won't ping, and the traceroute gives the following:

3072.388 ms !H 3072.371 ms !H 3072.362 ms !H

Okay, that's something you'll have to fix on your network, it's not a Pi-hole issue. The packets aren't getting past the first hop and if this is on your local network, that would be the router.

1 Like

Could their perhaps be something wrong with the DNS settings or something similar I am running the pi-hole on?

If it was DNS then you wouldn't be getting the public IP address of GitHub as a query answer.

Looking again at the debug log, it looks like pings from the Pi-hole to the router are failing. So there is something on your local network that is not configured correctly. Since the cause of that could be a wide number of things that all are unrelated to Pi-hole you will have to troubleshoot the connectivity yourself.

Your setup also needs some adjustment. The IPv4 address matches the network check on the Pi-hole node. But it seems unable to ping 192.168.1.1, the IP you have set up as the router for your Pi-hole and DHCP clients. The IPv6 address does not match any IP address assigned to the Pi-hole node so check that to see what the proper IPv6 address is. (Compare to ip -4 addr list and ip -6 addr list to see what IPs are assigned to your Pi-hole nodes interfaces.)

IPV4_ADDRESS=192.168.1.253/24
IPV6_ADDRESS=fd00::1028:ebdf:5547:4c99

I managed to resolve this in the end, I had a very stupid mistake in my network configuration that I'm embarrassed to mention. Once I fixed that I was able to update ok.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.