Unable to access Pihole admin commands in Ubuntu terminal

I am able to log into the web interface of Pi-Hole on my PC but am unable to login to Pi-Hole admin to change the passwords via a terminal session on the Ubuntu host of pi-Hole

I have a Virtual Ubuntu machine on VMare esxi and Pi-Hole was installed inside of Ubuntu yesterday

I have changed nothing on Pi-Hole as my admin credentials do not work and I cannot access via ssh

You will need to use the host OS ssh session user ID and password you used at install of the OS.

Hi, When I try ssh its rejected. I am unsure whether its rejected by Ubuntu or pihole but the window just comes up with a not accepted error

Ubuntu. Pi-hole is not involved in sshand your local username/password. Once you're logged in via ssh you can change the password for Pi-hole's web GUI via pihole -a -p

In addition to jfb's and yubiuser's comments, I'd like to emphasise that Pi-hole only manages a password for its web interface.

The credentials you are looking for are those of the machine's OS that is hosting Pi-hole.

If you forgot all of those, you likely need to start with a fresh image / OS installation.

to resolve your issue with logging into Pi-Hole admin via a terminal session on your Ubuntu host, you can try verifying your login credentials, checking network connectivity, verifying Pi-Hole installation, and resetting your Pi-Hole admin password.

Using the correct password solved the problem, so many many thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.