Ubuntu pihole cached connectivity-check.ubuntu.com/

Hi everyone,

sorry if the format does not fit your standards.

Expected Behaviour:

Pihole should work for all devices in the network similarly.

Actual Behaviour:

My pihole runs on a raspy W ZERO. Everything works fine in my network except for one device: I have Ubuntu 20.04 running on my laptop (Dell XP11). All connections are cached or forwarded. There is just one Domain tracked: connectivity-check.ubuntu.com
I thought its a cache problem so I flushed all the caches according to https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how-do-i-flush-my-pi-hole-cache/3020. However it did not help....
Here a screenshot of the queries:

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jens

Please run

dig connectivity-check.ubuntu.com

once on your Dell PC and once on the Pi-hole and show us the output. How does the Query Log look like after you did that?

Thanks for the quick reply. Here the output:

The Query Log has not changed....

This shows that the XPS-13 client uses 1.1.1.1 as upstream resolver. How did you configure it to (only!) use your Pi-hole for DNS?

Your XPS-13-9360 is using 1.1.1.1 for DNS, definitely not Pi-hole.
You'd have to fix that.

What's that 192.168.178.60 your raspberrypi is using? Is that Pi-hole?

Also, please upload a debug log and post just the token that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

Thanks for the reply. I configured it using the GUI. Now additionally I added in /etc/systemd/resolved.conf the DNS server.... According to systemd-resolve --status it looks fine:

However if I dig connectivity-check.ubuntu.com then it still the old DNS Server:
Where/how can I change the DNS adress?

Cheers

Hi,

thanks for you help. Yes, 192.168.178.60 is my raspberry pi W Zero running Pi-hole.
##################################################################
pihole -d produces:

(sorry for the resolution, as a new user I can not paste the terminal output because of some link restriction)

#########################################################################
Here it gets stuck. The Web interface does not produce any output.

On my router I disabled IPv6.

We don't want the printout of the log, we want the token that is generated when you upload the log. That allows a few people on the Pi-hole team to access your log in full, and protects your privacy.

Git it... Thanks: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/a1qyqnbcm2

Unrelated to this problem, but noted in your debug log. If you take a look at the output of pihole -g regarding this URL, you will find it loads no domains. This URL leads to a list of other URLs. What you should do is copy all the listed URL's to your clipboard, and then paste that lot into the Group Management > Adlists page.

https://v.firebog.net/hosts/lists.php?type=tick

Your debug log shows that Pi-hole is working properly. It also shows that your DHCP server is providing the IP of Pi-hole for DNS. The problem appears to lie in the client that is using 1.1.1.1 for DNS, not in Pi-hole.

1 Like

Thanks for the that. Just one last question. As you can see in my post above the client according to systemd-resolve --status uses the right DNS. However, if I dig connectivity-check. ubuntu. com then it still the old DNS Server. Where can I finally set it up correctly?

Thanks

Thank you very much. I have one last question. How can I change the DNS server on my guest device. I have shown above that via systemd-resolve --status it seems that I have the right DNS Server however via "dig" it shows the 1.1.1.1.

What is the content of your file /etc/resolv.conf on this client?

It says:
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 1.0.0.1

This config file instructs the processes on your system to use 1.1.1.1 or 1.0.0.1. They won't even be aware of the existence of the systemd-resolved instance. So you need to find out where these entries come from.

For instance, the very same file looks like this on my desktop computer:

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
# 127.0.0.53 is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.
# run "systemd-resolve --status" to see details about the actual nameservers.

nameserver 127.0.0.53
search lan

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.